How fast can we poll ?

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
dromar56

How fast can we poll ?

Post by dromar56 »

Hello,

My client ask me a very fast polling, once per second for each switch and once every 5~ seconds for sensors.

I was wondering what was the fastest polling you can achieve with say, 10 devices ?
Also if someone knows how fast it would be with other z-wave solutions like z-stick + openzwave.

PoltoS

Z-Way and Open Z-Wave others

Post by PoltoS »

Z-Way and Open Z-Wave others can do it as fast as possible, but the tranceiver can not. It is about 30-60 packets per second at maximum.

Your scenario is not recommended - polling is bad!

Most modern sensors "push" events when values changes. This is way better
plusonedev

Re: How fast can we poll ?

Post by plusonedev »

How would you go about binding to those pushed events.

My main concerns are actual temperature, set temperature, and system mode.

I'm writing a node.js app on my pi to collect data from my thermostat and report changes to a web app that needs to be as real time as possible.

Thanks
michap

Re: How fast can we poll ?

Post by michap »

Hi,you must check the type of sensors... not every sensor will give you the actual value of temperature, even if you will poll...

As sample FIBARO Door/Window Sensor FGK-101 - 107

-> change the parameter - it will send the report if temperature will be changed by 0.5 degree (as sample)

Paramter No. 12 Size 1 Default 8
Name Sensitivity to temperature changes
Description The maximum acceptable difference between the last reported temperature and the current temperature read from the sensor. If the temperatures differ by the set value or more, a report with the current temperature value is sent to the device assigned to association group no. 3.
To set an appropriate parameter value use the following formula:
x = delta T x 16 - for Celsius; x = delta T x 80 / 9 - for Fahrenheit;
x = parameter value; delta T – maximum acceptable temperature gradient in Celsius or Fahrenheit.
If the value is set to 0: - if the wake-up interval is set to 255 seconds, temperature report will be sent according to the interval; - if the wake-up interval is set to over 255, temperature report will be sent each ca. 4 minutes. Available parameter settings: 0 – 255 [0oC to 16oC] [32oF – 60,8oF]

If you use other multi sensor- maybe it will report only within 30 minutes, or if a motion event was triggered...

For system events - here you could push the system events to the controller.

Michael