C Api

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
tonyg

C Api

Post by tonyg »

I understand that information is sent and received over the AMA0 device on the razberry, I am wondering what speed and other characteristics are set for it
thanks
PoltoS

Re: C Api

Post by PoltoS »

115200 8N1

But if you will write to the port yourself, turn off Z-Way.
tonyg

Post by tonyg »

is there a documented format of the messages to and from the serial port ?
tonyg

Post by tonyg »

I can probably decode those coming off the port and checking against the zlog, I'm more interested in the messages to z wave devices
tonyg

Post by tonyg »

Also do you know if it uses flow control?
pofs

Post by pofs »

tonyg wrote:is there a documented format of the messages to and from the serial port ?
This is under NDA.

There are also open-source projects like OpenZWave, which are based on reverse engineering of the protocol. Of course, they are very incomplete.
tonyg

Post by tonyg »

I took a look at OpenZWave, looks like a lot of devices on there. When you say under NDA, is that only zwave alliance members?
pofs

Post by pofs »

tonyg wrote:When you say under NDA, is that only zwave alliance members?
Not necessary. You just need to buy SDK (about $3000) and sign NDA with Sigma Designs.

You'll spend a lot of money and months of work to implement it from scratch.
It is much cheaper to use/license existing high-level SDKs. Like Z-Way ;)
Shazard

Post by Shazard »

This my first urge to dig out this protocol spec and write down my own "stuff". But my first attempts stomped into this dark "You'll spend a lot of money and months of work to implement it from scratch."

And then I found Z-Way which gives away JSON API for free to do exactly what I wanted to achieve... write my own "controller software" which actually means "automation software" and UIs I want...

So as I am very lazy person, I plan meanwhile spend lot less money and those month into much more productive way...