ZStickC and Z-Way

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
patrickm

ZStickC and Z-Way

Post by patrickm »

I also stepped into this pitfall and bought a ZStickC thinking I would be able to use it with Z-Way.

Since I couldn't find anything conclusive on ZStickC support in Z-Way, I've emailed zwave.me but didn't get any response. Then I found the pdf manual that clearly references Z-Way, so assumed it would be supported.

Quite disappointed about this now, could even consider it fraud. Is there any way I can obtain (buy) the correct firmware and flash that to my ZStickC?
pofs

Re: ZStickC and Z-Way

Post by pofs »

Unfortunately, ZStickC is not compatible with Z-Way.

The document you referenced mentions "Z-Way in the cloud", connected to with Z-Connector:
It connects your system to a free online cloud service (Z-Cloud) running Z-Way …
It is not a desktop/embedded version of Z-Way. Sorry if it was misleading.

There's a special stick working with Z-Way. It is white, and has "Z-Way" suffix in its name. I'd suggest you to return your ZStickC and buy a right one instead.
patrickm

Post by patrickm »

The document mentions Z-Connector as a seperate tool to connect with Z-Cloud. It's not misleading, it's plain wrong to include API examples that refer to Z-Way instead of Z-Connector.

As others on this forum have pointed out, the "Z-way stick" is way too expensive. I assumed I was paying for the Windows software that comes with it. I couldn't find any definitive answer on compatibility with the Aeon stick either, but now I know it's out of the question. Which is too bad as I thought Z-way is superior but now it seems quite limited if it''s only compatible with Razberry and an usb stick that nobody buys because it is too expensive.

I guess I have to choose between razberry + usb2serial converter (still cheaper than the stick), or OpenZWave. I think I'll try OpenZWave until z-wave.me has matured a bit as a company because it's lost my support for now.
skiv71

Post by skiv71 »

I'm now using the Z-way stick with a local z-way embedded in my system and it works much better than using the PI.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

What hardware are you using now?
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
skiv71

Post by skiv71 »

me?

my system runs in a virtual machine and usb devices (rfxcom & zstick) are network connected by means of a usb network server.

works lovely :)
pz1

Post by pz1 »

I meant what is the host machine? x86?
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
skiv71

Post by skiv71 »

Sorry....

The VM runs Ubuntu 10.04 x86 and is virtualised on my Win7x64 server machine :)