Direct association - limits

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
Rappo

Direct association - limits

Post by Rappo »

Hi.

The following issue applies for a setup using direct association between a smokedetector and a powerswitch:

When the smokedetector registers smoke the powerswitch turns the electricity off. This works.
What opportunities do I have when it comes to turning the powerswitch back on without touching the powerswitch?

regards
Rappo
Dude

Re: Direct association - limits

Post by Dude »

Hi,

which smoke detector do you use? I heard the one from fibaro has a proprietary protocol that doesn't help too much using it in the HA.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

Dude wrote:Hi,
which smoke detector do you use? I heard the one from fibaro has a proprietary protocol that doesn't help too much using it in the HA.
Well, if you look on Fibaro's product page http://www.fibaro.com/en/system-fibaro/smoke-sensor-en, you won't see a Z-Wave certification logo. Also in the manual that is linked to that page you won't see such a logo. That is the case with many Fibaro products.
The ZWave Alliance, is not very transparant to consumers if it comes to certification. On their main certification page you only find a lot of generic blah blah, but no information where you as user can see if a device has been certified. Search the web for "z-wave logo", and you find a whole lot of different forms. The certification pages does not inform you at all about the meaning of these logos. If I understand correctly devices that are certified, may cary the logo that says "speaks Z-Wave" or an image of that.
The Zwave Alliance boast there are over 1200 devices certified now. If they were really interested in consumers, they would maintain a comprehesive list of those devices.

Coming back to Fibaro. The devices I have only carry a black logo on the box in which they are packaged. Hence they are definitely not certified.
Why am I saying all this. IIRC one of the certification criteria is that manufacturers should not add to a device proprietary commands that are essential for its functioning. So we unfortunately can't complain about Fibaro
Attachments
speakszwave.jpg
speakszwave.jpg (7.97 KiB) Viewed 8459 times
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
Rappo

Post by Rappo »

Hi.

I am using the Fibaro Smoke Sensor FGSS-001. I have problems with this device in Expert UI as it does not change status in "Control -> Sensors". When I click "update" it does not update. And of course, using it in HA does not work...

Regards
Rappo

Post by Rappo »

My manual says that the smoke detector is to be used with al devices certified with Z-Wave certificate and should be compatible with such devices produced by other manufacturers.

The box in which it came is marked with the Z-Wave logo.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

Rappo wrote:The box in which it came is marked with the Z-Wave logo.
But even so what does it mean? The Zwave team here have reported several times about flaws in Fibaro Zwave implementation...
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
Rappo

Post by Rappo »

No, it does not have to mean anything. I still have problems getting this smoke sensor to work...
The temperature updates, the rest does not. :(