[Export UI] Incorrect routing tables

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
alan

[Export UI] Incorrect routing tables

Post by alan »

Hi,

I'm testing the stability of a Z-wave network using the Z-way stick and multiple Aeotec Multisensor 6 devices.
For the purpose of this test, the devices are all USB powered.

I'm experiencing non consistent reports from the Expert UI.
I've made a following network topology:

C - controller
M - USB powered Multisensor

Code: Select all

C1 - M4
      |
     M3
And am successfully confirming that the nodes are alive by checking the Controller queue or the sensor status page, all in the Expert UI interface.

However, the routing table seems incorrect:

Given the routing page from above the sensors wouldn't be able to communicate with the controller however, they are.

Note:
The routing tables can't be successfully updated for the devices. My hypotheses for the above question is that if the node can confirm it's alive, all communication should be successful. Feel free to challenge/question this assumption if it could explain the above behaviour.
the wife

Re: [Export UI] Incorrect routing tables

Post by the wife »

I am seeing something similar. I cut my network down to the rPi, an Aeotec smart switch and a TKB switch. All mains powered.

With the switches both close to the rPi the routing table looks like this:

But when I move switch 22 just about out of the rPi range the table becomes:

And finally, when I move switch 22 further out the update function stops working for both switches:

and the z-way-server log file reports Job 0x48 (Request node neighbours update): fail for both 22 & 26.

I can successfully operate on/off remotely on both switches in all cases so I do not understand why the neighbour reports do not reflect that.

Software Version: 2.2.3
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Sleeping nodes can not participate in mesh-network. They are sleeping. So your M3 will not be able to send via M4 to C1.
the wife

Post by the wife »

Thanks for your response PoltoS. I am still puzzled.

According to alan his Aeon multisensors are both USB powered which I assumed would never sleep.

In my case I am using mains powered switches. Both switches are failing the Request Node Neighbours Update when one switch is out of direct range of the raspberry pi controller. But both switches respond instantly to on/off commands.

I am sure that the switches are successfully routing because when I add a Danfoss TRV into the network (>10 metres from the pi) I can only communicate with it if the switches are both plugged in.

I have had a small network running successfully for several months and would now like to extend it to the rest of my house which will require multiple hops. I was hoping the routing table would give me an insight into where best to site my repeaters but it doesn't seem to reflect the true picture.

My firmware is out of date (version 5.00). I have been reluctant to upgrade as I see some people have had issues. Would you recommend I do that now?
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Even if device is USB powered, if it reports sleeping state, it will not be used in routing. Then it depends on how Aeotec have implemented this USB mode.

Rotuing table update works beyond our Z-Way s/w: it is done in Z-Wave protocol and sometimes it fails. You should do few times Request Node Neighbours Update to let it work. If it always fail, try to do re-inclusion (means include same device without excluding it). This sometimes heal the process.

I would suggest to update from 5.00 to the latest. I'm always updating my house, same would suggest to others in case of problems. If you don't have problems, never update.