UZB Dongle vs Daughter board.

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
poordom

UZB Dongle vs Daughter board.

Post by poordom »

Good evening All,

This is my first time here, so please accept my advance apologises for my lack of overall knowledge.

Question 1 : I presently have the UZB Dongle, and wondering if I am better to use the Windows version of Z-Way, on a PC or to go towards a Raspberry Pi. version of Z-Way ( Are they the same Z-Way )

Question 2 : If I were to go towards Raspberry PI, does the UZB Dongle work the same as the Daughter board.

Question 3 : Again, If I were to go towards Raspberry PI, would I load Z-Way in the same fashion as if I had the Daughter Board, since I have a UZB Dongle.

Last question : Does Z-Way operate without having to use the Internet, for daily operation.

That's it for now.

Thanks

Dom
pz1

Re: UZB Dongle vs Daughter board.

Post by pz1 »

poordom wrote:Good evening All,

This is my first time here, so please accept my advance apologises for my lack of overall knowledge.

Question 1 : I presently have the UZB Dongle, and wondering if I am better to use the Windows version of Z-Way, on a PC or to go towards a Raspberry Pi. version of Z-Way ( Are they the same Z-Way )
In essence the versions are the same. But the version on Pi does get more frequent updates.
Question 2 : If I were to go towards Raspberry PI, does the UZB Dongle work the same as the Daughter board.
The UZB1 Dongle is more powerfull, but requires a separate ZWay license; The daughter board is cheaper and has a builtin license, but is not powerfull enough for many devices
Question 3 : Again, If I were to go towards Raspberry PI, would I load Z-Way in the same fashion as if I had the Daughter Board, since I have a UZB Dongle.
Yes it works the same, but daughter board seems to be slower
Last question : Does Z-Way operate without having to use the Internet, for daily operation.
ZWay is not dependent on functionalities via the internet. (Unless you want to do remote access, or integrate a satelite ZWay installation in a summer cottage)
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
penright

Post by penright »

Just starting also ... Had same questions, thanks.
But, I do have one other, In my research I read, the Z-wave consortium did not like "open source" nodes. Since Z-Way is a blessed device, can it be used as a node? Is there a more "programer" api/lib info?
I will be getting a Tuxedo installed in the next couple of weeks and I am excited to start.

Post by pz1 »

Here is the in depth developers documentation http://razberry.zwave.me/index.php?id=24
Sorry that i can't provide more focussed help, because I do not understand what you intend to do.
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
penright

Post by penright »

pz1 wrote:Here is the in depth developers documentation http://razberry.zwave.me/index.php?id=24
That is what I was asking for.
pz1 wrote:Sorry that i can't provide more focussed help, because I do not understand what you intend to do.
The truth is neither do I. It is kind of like remodeling .... I wanted to get rid of my phone land line. My alarm is so old, I have to upgrade for GSM. For few bucks more I can use Tuxedo for the alarm controller and get Home Automation. I went from getting rid of my land line to HA.
So now I am learning terminology. I have study HA protocols. Some friends tied to warn me away from Tuxedo and z-wave technology. But my goal is security first and HA second. Although as I learn more about HA it is cool and I can see where it can also be addictive. After setting the stage to answer your question, if I use bad terminology let me know so I can flesh out my thoughts better. So a Tuxedo is a controller then a light switch is a node or should I use the word device (for example a light switch).

So my question is can Z-Way be used to make the PI a device, correct?

After looking into the document "Developers Documentation" it seems to be more controller than device.
penright

Post by penright »

Was there two items to glean from that thread?
1. Z-Way will not act like a device without changes, correct?
2. use the Fibaro Universal Sensor hardware.
I will look at the the FUS hardware.
But, looking at the Z-way, if I am starting to understand correctly, commands x30 and x31 are what I call reading commands. The commands are broken up into classes. Switch, Meter, Sensor, ect. Would not the PI/Z-way have to emulate one/all of those classes to look like a device to a controller?

Updated: I think I am on the same page now. I found this link http://domotica4all.com/video-game-revi ... ry-sensor/ You are correct, this is the function I am looking for. I have not spent a lot of time, but the cheapest I found was around $120.

Post by pz1 »

I found was around $120
In Europe you get them around 40EUR which is around 45USD
penright

Post by penright »

I thought I would pass this along to the thread.
For US users, there is not a US version of the "Fibaro Universal Sensor".
I just finished asking Fibaro, Case #59729.