Bug in updating/polling multilevel switches [SOLVED]

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
jadedeane

Bug in updating/polling multilevel switches [SOLVED]

Post by jadedeane »

Updated subject to more correctly reflect nature of the issue, namely problems with Z-Way updating/polling multilevel switches. See post 10 and on.

Looking at GE in-wall on/off, dimmer, and fan switches. Any specific experiences? Extra points if you've used homebridge and homebridge-zway :)
Last edited by jadedeane on 22 Aug 2016 19:56, edited 4 times in total.
CudaNet

Re: Anyone have experience with GE switches?

Post by CudaNet »

I actually have all 3 paired within z-way but I'm not familiar with homebridge. What would you like to know ?
jadedeane wrote:Looking at GE in-wall on/off, dimmer, and fan switches. Any specific experiences? Extra points if you've used homebridge and homebridge-zway :)
jadedeane

Post by jadedeane »

Curious as to general experiences but went ahead and picked up some on/off and dimmer switches, along with their add-ons. Can leave homebridge off the table, very solid there for anyone else using it.

I'm able to see on/off/dimmer level changes when the line switch is used, but when the load/add-on switch is used (be it to power things on, off, or adjust dimmer levels) nothing. Not sure where to go from here to troubleshoot further...
Last edited by jadedeane on 16 Aug 2016 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
jadedeane

Post by jadedeane »

Interesting. When I make a change via the load/add-on switch I see nothing in the z-way server logs. Not a peep.
CudaNet

Post by CudaNet »

Yes, you won't. You need to installer the Niffler module. I had the exact same issue for all the devices with exception of the plug receptacles themselves. All control via z-way is instant, the minute you move to a physical switch - nothing gets updated. However if you ask zway to update, sure enough - it updates.

When I added Niffler, it corrected this behavior. It would be great to have native support within z-way !

CN
jadedeane wrote:Interesting. When I make a change via the load/add-on switch I see nothing in the z-way server logs. Not a peep.
jadedeane

Post by jadedeane »

Ah yes, Niffler. I've been using that app with my Kwikset locks, which solved the lack of state change updates I had with those. Love it!

With regard to Niffler and GE switches, I have my dimmer switches added to Niffler (on/off switches don't seem to need this. Presume because, like the dimmer switches, they're the line switches as it were). Still don't see state changes in Z-Way when I use the load/add-on switches.

Could you expand on your use of Niffler with your GE switches (dimmers?), and whether or not you're using the load/add-on switches and see state changes?

Thanks!
jadedeane

Re: Experience with GE switches and status update failures

Post by jadedeane »

Oh this is interesting (still learning a lot about Z-Wave). Perhaps this has something to do with dimmer status: https://community.smartthings.com/t/zwa ... ate/4864/6
CudaNet

Post by CudaNet »

Yes, in my testing - I didn't need Niffler for my GE binary switches. I actually didn't review the logs after I added my dimmers to Niffler. I was able to see an immediate state change in /smarthome as well as /expert. I'll take a look tonight when I get home.

I'm not using the add-on switches which I assume you mean 3-way.

CN
jadedeane wrote:Ah yes, Niffler. I've been using that app with my Kwikset locks, which solved the lack of state change updates I had with those. Love it!

With regard to Niffler and GE switches, I have my dimmer switches added to Niffler (on/off switches don't seem to need this. Presume because, like the dimmer switches, they're the line switches as it were). Still don't see state changes in Z-Way when I use the load/add-on switches.

Could you expand on your use of Niffler with your GE switches (dimmers?), and whether or not you're using the load/add-on switches and see state changes?

Thanks!
jadedeane

Post by jadedeane »

Yes, sorry, add-on = 3-way. The dimmer switches status updates are near instantaneous (on, off, dimmer levels). Those blasted add-on switches when physically switched don't result in any updates.

Almost wish there were a method in Z-Way to simply poke them every so often.
jadedeane

Post by jadedeane »

Something else I stumbled across here says GE switches don't support associations (noticed that when I did the interview, and specified device-type after): https://community.openhab.org/t/zwave-r ... ate/4987/2

But they, at least when using the main (line) switch send NIFs.