Re-purposing z-wave accessories from old system

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
brons2

Re-purposing z-wave accessories from old system

Post by brons2 »

Hello,

I purchased a house recently that had an AT&T Digitial Life system installed with a number of Z-Wave accessories. Well, at least, from my reading I think they are Z-Wave.

I would like to set up a non-AT&T system, and re-use as many of these accessories as I can. Are there any recommendations out there as to what is the best hardware to purchase in order to do this? Thinking about which "smart hub" to get. Also saw some of the other more DIY focused controllers such as the Razberry and a Zwave USB dongle, those might be options as well. I am technically oriented as I am a network administrator, however, I don't have a lot of time to mess with programming home automation due to personal circumstances. So I'm leaning more towards the smart hubs for ease of integration.

I would like to have some security features but I don't want the security vendor taking over the home automation and my wallet. So there's that as well.

Any suggestions? Or should I just assume this stuff can't be re-used and buy all new gear?

Stuff I have:
Touchpad door locks
Thermostats (that I have seen listed on Zwave sites)
Door sensors
CO2/Smoke
Motion detector