GE Z-Wave Dimmer Switch Memory

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
frosty

GE Z-Wave Dimmer Switch Memory

Post by frosty »

I have installed GE Z-wave dimmer switches throughout my home. Whenever someone presses (rather than taps the switch to turn it on), the switch turns on very dim (e.g., 1% brightness). If we then turn off the switch, the next time we tap the switch to turn it on (or my Smartthings hub instructs it to turn on), it turns on at 1% brightness. How do I make the switch "forget" the brightness level of the last time it was on so it turns on to 100% brightness?
Z-Wave Support

Re: GE Z-Wave Dimmer Switch Memory

Post by Z-Wave Support »

Hello,

please check the Parameter from your GE dimmer.

Z-Wave Support Team
frosty

Post by frosty »

Thanks for your response. I am a z-wave newbie. Where do I check the parameter? If the answer is to check on the interface for my Smartthings hub, I did that already. They are set to 99% brightness. But if I manually turn on the witch to 20% brightness, the next time the hub signals the switch to turn on, it will only turn on at 20% brightness. Thanks in advance for your help.
Provo

Post by Provo »

What they mean is the configuration parameters, which are stored in the device itself. Different devices have different configuration parameters, which dictate how the device will behaven and operate. I'm not familiar with the Smartthings hub, but there you have a basis for googling how to find and set these parameters.

Some dimmers have configuration parameters that let you define whether or not it should turn on to the previous value it was set to before being turned off, or if it should turn on to full brightness or some defined value. If this is the correct manual for your device, it doesn't seem to have that setting, unless there has been a firmware upgrade implementing this after the manual was written.

As I said, I'm not familiar with the Smartthings hub, but there should be ways to work around this (by setting up something that sets the dimmer to full brightness triggered only if it goes from off to less than 10% brightness, say; or when going from off to on from a press of the switch; or from off to on, and not a specific brightness level, from the hub). Getting help for this should be easier on a Smartthings forum though.