Use best route first?

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
novalis

Use best route first?

Post by novalis »

I'm not sure I understand this correctly, but I've read that the default z-wave behavior when transmitting messages is to first attempt to communicate directly with the remote device, and if that fails, to then attempt to communicate via the mesh network. Is this true? Is there any way to get the controller to use the known correct route *first*?

As an example, I get the following timings (Last packets (in 10 ms units)) for a device which does not have a direct connection to the controller (must go through one relay node):

186 6 213 245 105 41 123 40 415 30 7 114 104 291 97 81 7 163 104 182

The routing table for this device shows it as "Communication through 1 node. There are several routes". So the controller knows there is no direct connection to this device. Why does it keep wasting time and communication bandwidth attempting to contact the device directly for every command?
PoltoS

Re: Use best route first?

Post by PoltoS »

LWR (Last Working Route) is the first, then LLWR (prev LWR), then other routes (including direct if in the list).

This is an evidence of unstable route - it is "on the border" and is not always working, so the controller is switching to another one. Looks like another one is also so-so
novalis

Re: Use best route first?

Post by novalis »

Ahh, good to know! The wording on the timing page made it sound like there were a lot of attempts to communicate directly with the device, which would have made no sense! I'll see if I can push the network out more in that direction.