Blinds

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
PeterK

Blinds

Post by PeterK »

I am new to Z-Wave>Me. I am trying to control blinds in my living room. I have installed a switch (Popp WallC-2) and Qubino motor control. I am receiving clicks from the switch, and I am able to move the blinds up and down with the software.

However, I am totally lost about how to associate the them. I want one click up to go to max, and I want one click down to go to min. I also want a press to run the motor until it releases. I tried using an app called "Association", but this does not seem to allow me to set the value of the blinds. What am I missing here?
10neWulf

Re: Blinds

Post by 10neWulf »

I've not used the WallC-2 before, and not sure if you are going to get exactly what you are after - but instead of using the association app, have you tried doing a manual association in the expert UI?
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

Thanks 10neWulf. I did give that a solid attempt, but was not very successful. As I said, Im a newbie here.

Where do I add the assosiations? I can add associations (devices) to the each of the buttons.
For instance for the first button, I find under Association the following text: "
2. Control Group A, controlled by button 1 or single clicks of buttons 1 and 3 (maximum 10 devices) | 07:43 PM". Here I am able to add "Device #14" that is my blinds.
Button 3 (down) is associated with "Device #14" in the same way (Control Group C).

However, I cant find any way to tell "Device #14" what to do based on this, ie to associate the "Button 1" to the "up action" on the blinds.

However, in the ordinary UI I can both control the blinds with the up/down buttons. I can also see what buttons are pressed on the controller.

Hope some of this made some sense...;)
Benny

Post by Benny »

Hi,

I think this you can tell them in the configuration.

Benny
Attachments
Unbenannt.JPG
Unbenannt.JPG (100.18 KiB) Viewed 12094 times
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

Hi Benny,
Thanks. This is exactly how I have set it up. The buttons are configured individually (1-4). If I read this correctly, buttons 1-4 are sending the command to Control Group A-D. "Central Scene to Gateway" is also the setting I have selected. I am also able to see the status of the button change when buttons are pressed.

However, what do I do then? How can I tell the gateway to set the blinds to "0%" or "100%" respectively based on the commands it is receiving?

I am probably missing something very obvious here...;)
Benny

Post by Benny »

When the Switch is configured to send "central scene" you have to make the logic with apps. Everything will work, while Z-Way is running.
In this case you make some logical rules. If Switch 1 is pressed, blind goes up. If Switch 2 is pressed....

Otherwise you cold make it with association. So it will work everytime, also Z-Way isn't running. You must configure the Switch. Button 1 and 3 - in pair without doubleclicks, Command to Control Group A and C - Switch On/Off an Dim (send Basic Set and Switch Multilevel). In this case your blind goes up by pressing button 1, down by pressing button 2 and set to a level if you hold one of this buttons.
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

OK. The association-part makes sense, and is probably the best choice if I get it to work. I will experiment with that.

I also want to understand the other way of approaching this. I think I understand the principle, and I tried finding an app that could do this, but failed. I found apps that could switch things on/off, based on their current setting. However, I could not find any apps that would let me set the blinds to a specific position. What app should I use?
10neWulf

Post by 10neWulf »

Don't know about the switch you are using, but sometimes you need to do the association manually (you will need to look up the details of the settings to change in the user guide for your switch).

Association allows your switch to talk directly to the blind, and you will have a less noticeable delay between a button push and the blind moving - this is because the switch does not need to send a message to your controller, wait for the controller to perform some logic on the message, then control the blind.

If you want to have the blind set to a certain position - maybe condition switch may be able to help you (something like if button == pressed, then set blind to x).

I control my blinds using a web-app I made which controls via the API, I wonder whether you can create a http device on zway to do the same thing - haven't played around with the custom HTTP apps yet..
Benny

Post by Benny »

Hi, I use the Logical Rule to set my blinds to a specific Level. In my case I set my blinds to Level 0 if sunset and window closed, to Level 25 if sunset an window opened, to Level 99 if sunrise.

You could do same with your switch for example. If Button one pressed set level xx, if Button to pressed set level xx....
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

sure! why not?