Z-Wave Presence Sensor

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
vkapadia

Z-Wave Presence Sensor

Post by vkapadia »

Hi everyone! I'm new to Z-Wave and home automation. I'm trying to have a method of knowing if I'm "home" or "away" reliably. I just had an idea that I could check for my car's presence in the garage. As far as I can tell, that should eliminate most false positives/negatives. Is there a sensor that can do this? Just a binary sensor that tells if there is something in front of it or not. Like the beam sensor that garage doors use. I don't think a motion sensor would work, because once the car is parked, there is no motion.
PoltoS

Re: Z-Wave Presence Sensor

Post by PoltoS »

You can use distance sensor like this http://z-uno.z-wave.me/examples/hc-sr04 ... ce-sensor/
vkapadia

Post by vkapadia »

Looks like the Z-Uno board doesn't work in North America yet :(
fez

Post by fez »

I'm using a microswitch connected to a Fibaro binary sensor, built into the door frame. The switch is triggered when the door is fully locked.
You could could also use rf I'd module where you could check in/out more securely:
https://www.zipato.com/product/mini-keypad-rfid
There are for sure many other ways to do this:
I.e. place a window sensor where you keep your keys while at home and hang a magnet to your keys. Sensor would be triggered when the keys (you) are there. This is clearly not very secure, but could work.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

@vkapadia We are working on legal side to get the imported. Hope to finalize that very soon
vkapadia

Post by vkapadia »

@PoltoS awesome, hope that works out soon!
vkapadia

Post by vkapadia »

@fez

With your first option, it just knows when the door is closed and locked? That really doesn't tell me if I'm home or not.

Second option could work, I'll look into that. Does it just send the controller a signal when it's within range or not within range? I don't want to have to add any steps to entering/leaving the home. No buttons to press or tap or anything.

Third option wouldn't work for me, since we don't hang our keys. They stay in my pocket or my wife's purse (both our cars have keyless entry and push to start, so we never take our keys out).

Is there really no distance sensor already available for Z-Wave? That would easily solve this problem.
vkapadia

Post by vkapadia »

@PoltoS
I haven't really looked at the Z-Uno board much (will definitely check it out when it releases in US). Can I wire two of the ultrasonic sensors to one Z-Uno? That way I would only need one board for both cars.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

@vkapadia Yes, you can
vkapadia

Post by vkapadia »

@PoltoS thanks! do you have an ETA on availability?