z-way-server doesn't respond, high cpu load

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
Genius

z-way-server doesn't respond, high cpu load

Post by Genius »

Hi there,

after several days running v2.3.5 the z-way-server process uses a fluctuating amount of cpu load and doesn't respond anymore. It fluctuates from 75% to 101%. The amount of memory used also fluctuates.
I can't reach the webservice anymore.

sudo service z-way-server stop doesn't do anything. z-way-server is still running.

Interestingly the z-way-server still writes his log.

Any ideas what might be wrong here?

Thank you,
Patrick
lindm

Re: z-way-server doesn't respond, high cpu load

Post by lindm »

Same here 2.3.5 isn't a good Version. I'm back at 2.3.1 and everything is fine.
micky1500

Post by micky1500 »

I agree, definitely seems sluggish since 2.3.5
some automation activities don't happen, presume they timed out before execution !

I can stop and restart using these commands.

sudo /etc/init.d/z-way-server restart
sudo /etc/init.d/z-way-server stop
Raspi 4 - (Buster - 32 Bit) Zwave Version 4.1.1, Raz 7 Pro, Serial API Version: 07.38
DarS

Post by DarS »

The same with my Z-Way I am afraid. Terribly slow / unresponsive. I had to cease all home automation rules to avoid family shame...
Any feedback from support or developers?
I am amazed how careless the z-way development is. Initially I was shocked by the default large amount of z-way logging to a fragile SD card on Raspberry Pi. Serious error I thought... But then the discovery of large JSON file saves and current instability completed the pattern. Gosh...
-DarS
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

We care a lot about stability. Please give us more info about the problem. Perfectly would be to give remote access to a hanged system or at least provide logs and conditions when and how often does it happen.

In 2.3.6 we have fixed many small and big issues found in 2.3.5, so it might be that we have already fixed that.
abi

Post by abi »

PoltoS wrote:
18 Sep 2017 12:19
We care a lot about stability. Please give us more info about the problem. Perfectly would be to give remote access to a hanged system or at least provide logs and conditions when and how often does it happen.
It happened on my system three times already also. A complete system reboot fixes it for a few hours. I can give you ssh access next time it happens. I expect it to be about a day or two based on previous experience. Whats the best way to send you the access credentials?
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

by mail: box ID, ssh login and password.
abi

Post by abi »

PoltoS wrote:
19 Sep 2017 00:01
by mail: box ID, ssh login and password.
Which email ? info(at)z-wave.me ?
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

yes. or ps@
Genius

Post by Genius »

After I wrote my first post, I restarted my raspberry which ended in a emergency shell with a "dirty bit" set. I tried to remove the dirty bit and I was still not able to start with some "Depend" error messages like
Dependency failed for /boot
Dependency failed for File System Check on /dev/mmcblk0p1

I gave up on this and recovered an older image from over a year ago on another sd card which brought my raspberry back to life.

I tried to read from the other not booting sd card with an usb sd card reader and it was terrible slow, but at least I had still access to the data.

To make long things short, I reformated the no booting sd card, did some tests and it was totally fine. read and write speed and capacity is ok, so the card itself is (I guess) not broken at all. I have no idea what happend to the sd card.

So maybe z-way-server wasn't the fault, it could be the sd card. But funny that others have similar problems with z-way.

The raspberry is up for 3 days again, so if something changes from my side, I will report here again.

Best reagrds,
Patrick