Version 2.3.6

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
timb

Re: Version 2.3.6

Post by timb »

Hi PoltoS,
I have some more info...
I upgraded my secondary controller (Pi3, Raspbian stretch).
It died within a day.
Looking now at its unresponsive state I see:
> it does not respond to the URL
> it does not respond with VNC
> it does not respond with SSH (using PuttY)
> it does respond to PING
In this condition I cannot reach it to get anything from it.

So now I power on/off the Pi, it reboots.
Everything comes back fine (URL, VNC...)
Obviously not a corrupt SD card.
Interestingly this backup controller is doing much less work - no logical rules app for example

Any guidance welcome
Thanks
Tim
hpd

Post by hpd »

I had similar problems. Providing a more powerful power supply solved these issues.
Z-Way 2.0.0-final on Raspberry Pi
timb

Post by timb »

Well that's interesting, but like I say I have this problem affecting two Zway Pi controllers. One using the old zway card, the other with the new.
Prior to installing 2.3.6 I never had these problems.
When I monitor the CPU, the 4 cores seem pretty low most of the time.
timb

Post by timb »

So now, 1 day later the Pi Primary also failed the same way.
No URL, no VNC, no SSH, this time interestingly no PING.
A reboot and all is fine.

What intrigues me is how I get this failure repeatedly within 2-3 days on 2 different Pi devices and no-one else does?

Thoughts anyone:-) ?
Provo

Post by Provo »

timb wrote:
13 Dec 2017 11:40
Well that's interesting, but like I say I have this problem affecting two Zway Pi controllers.
So perhaps both of them have too weak power supplies? It could also be overheating. Or it could be something causing your network interface to go down – do you have a keyboard/mouse and a screen connected so you can see if it's actually alive and just off the network when it acts this way? It's really hard for anyone here to know what's causing this without any information. You need to check if it's only the network which is down, or if it's completely shut down, or otherwise frozen, and you need to check logs etc.
timb

Post by timb »

Thanks for the reply.
I don't think it can be power supply:
1. I have had these 2 Pis for a long time - always running Zway - up until 2.3.6 almost never had this problem
2. Unlikely that both power supplies would be faulty. In fact both Pis have a fairly sturdy battery backup to protect against power failure - so really doubtful.

I appreciate your frustration. I need some help from you - what logs do you want? The /Var/z-way log?
timb

Post by timb »

OK I have the zway log right up to when it died.
Sorry for being unaware, but how do I upload a copy to you - its not obvious to me!
Thanks
Provo

Post by Provo »

I doubt that I'll be able to tell you anything useful from seeing the z-way log, but someone else (like the developers) might. You can upload it by going to the full editor, click the Attachments tab below the text box and click the Add files button.

The first thing I would try to find out if I were you, is in what state the Pi is in when you loose contact with it. Have a screen and a keyboard connected from boot, so that when it goes offline you can still operate it locally. If it's completely dead, that's one thing. If just the network interface is down, that's another.

If you're able to pinpoint the time that it fails to some fairly accurate degree, there's also the system log at /var/log/syslog (and older stuff in /var/log/syslog.1). Open it and try to find out if anything wrong happens close to the time of failure.

One more thing: If it's currently connected by WiFi, have you tried running with a wired connection instead?
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

If the box freezes completely, it should have nothing with the Z-Way itself. May be Z-Way is triggering this, but it is not the root cause.

Honestly, I can't imagine how Z-Way can lead to full OS unresponsiveness. But clearly you shhould search for kernel problems rather than Z-Way problems. This also explains why pings do work - this is done inside kernel, while VNC, SSH, Webserver are processes.

Please attach an HDMI cable and swich to terminal - once it will crash, you should see a lot of kernel panic output
klaasjoerg

Post by klaasjoerg »

Hi, as I still have many problems with/since 2.3.6. (missing devices, unworking hue-app, some strange behaviours etc.) I am wondering if there is already a date for 2.3.7 ? - or at least a howto, on how to pull the dev-github branch and install it easily....