Add a default power consumption of a device?

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
FredrikKarlsson

Add a default power consumption of a device?

Post by FredrikKarlsson »

Hi,

I have two questions related to keeping track of power consumption of devices in Z-way

First, is there an app for that use case specifically, or do you use a more general "summation of sensors" kind of app?

Second, some Z-wave switches do not monitor power consumption, but really if you've got a couple of lights with in total 35W power draw, you basically know what will be consumed once you turn the switch ON. And, if the dimmer level is at 20% then you could estimate the consumption to be about 20% of that as a rough estimate. Will Z-way allow you to add a power consumption that is not measured by the device itself somehow?

Thanks!

Fredrik
AdrianAldea

Re: Add a default power consumption of a device?

Post by AdrianAldea »

FredrikKarlsson wrote:
07 Feb 2018 15:48
Will Z-way allow you to add a power consumption that is not measured by the device itself somehow?
I guess not. If the device will not transmit back power values, you can try a trick:

You can make an algorithm for yourself based on How much power they consume per hour.
You can take a look on dimmer datasheet of light bulb datasheet and maybe they have a diagram of consumption.
FredrikKarlsson

Re: Add a default power consumption of a device?

Post by FredrikKarlsson »

Yes, computing the consumption is not the problem. Usually I will know what kind of draw the lamp will have. But, I would like to be able to insert a value as a power consumption each time the lamp is on. That way I would be able to keep track of power consumption in a nice way.