multiple virtual devices

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
rong

multiple virtual devices

Post by rong »

I am using some Aeotec dry contact devices to make use of existing magnetic switches in a hybrid alarm system. When I include this device it creates three virtual devices (elements) "General Purpose", "Access Control" , and "Button" for the one physical device, Is there any documentation anywhere that describes these three elements and how to use them? I am noticing that the open and close events are not consistant with all virtual devices and that certain apps (Security Module for example) will only accept events from certain elements but not necessarily ones that are actually throwing events. Aeotec claims that they have no knowledge of how Z-way is using their devices. I have looked through the xml files, but don't see any obvious answers.
PoltoS

Re: multiple virtual devices

Post by PoltoS »

Z-Way is rendering devices according to Z-Wave specification. Access is made based on Alarm/Notification Command Class. General purpose is certainly from Sensor Binary (usually this duplicates Notification).

In some cases those are not consistent because one need to set up configuration parameters. Aeotec likes to make them with bitmasks.

Button is certainly from Set commands received from the device (instead of Reports)
rong

Post by rong »

Thanks for your help. I was able to get them working by setting parameter 121 to report on two events. They still do not report the notification events properly (with open / close strings) but I can at least get them to trigger alarms. What is confusing me is that 3 of the 5 units operated as expected, but two needed this change. Thanks again.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

May be different versions of firmware