Newbie Help

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
gritz_1

Newbie Help

Post by gritz_1 »

Need help understanding the basic z-wave principles. :shock:
I have a Honeywell alarm panel with z-wave hub/controller. I can set up/control scenes, etc from the panel.
The panel also has an app (on my phone) that allows me to access the z-wave devices - clunky at best.
I want to add a "remote" device to the alarm panel ONLY to have local control of the lights - so they can be switched on/off, dimmed, etc.
I am NOT trying to control anything the panel does - it works beautifully with it's attached accessories and z-wave devices.
Looking for something like the Insteon Mini-Remote with 8 scenes or the Aeotec WallMote Quad - just a nice looking device I can keep on the
coffee table to adjust the lights.
My question: the Honeywell panel has a "remote" device (5878) which is compatible with the panel - is it possible to add a different vendors remote/control device since I am just dealing with z-wave and not attempting to access the panel itself?
IgoriokLT

Re: Newbie Help

Post by IgoriokLT »

You can use Remotec Scene controller (8 buttons) and associate it with your selected Z-Wave device. On this behalf you will be able to control your lights/plugs/whatever from remote controller directly.
gritz_1

Post by gritz_1 »

Excellent, thank you. I assumed if a z-wave device is attached to a z-wave hub, it really does not care who/what the controller is.
Some companies say their devices are not compatible with Honeywell, but if they speak z-wave I believe they will work.
nlmeulen

Post by nlmeulen »

Hi,

I have tried to install Z-way on a Raspberry + Razberry module I have purchased for this purpose. After installing and trying to connect I have hit a wall with receiving a connection refused error.

I have recently built a new home and opted to have all switches, curtains sprinklers and such controlled via Z-wave switches. I have a Fibaro home 2 controller. Network is run with the ISP router extended with several apple airport routers. I also have a Apple TV if that is any use.

I am very interested to have Apple Homekit installed so I can control all this with my iphone and apple watch.

The route to achieving this seems way to technical. I am looking for someone who is competent in this field and is willing to install this remotely for me for a fee. Please drop me a reply or PM if you are able to help.