How to get homebridge up and running with Zwave sensors?

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
dave145

How to get homebridge up and running with Zwave sensors?

Post by dave145 »

I'm looking to get homebridge up and running with Zwave sensors and switches, to take advantage of Siri and the new Home app from Apple coming soon. Does Zway even have a UI, or is it just a server? If not, what do you use as a UI?
I was running OpenHAB, which was reliable with ZWave, but I find the scripting language to be far too eclectic and the interface is horrid. Thanks to Essay-Professors I could concentrate not on the studying but on running Z-wave. At a last resort, I'll use that with Homebridge, but I'd rather not.
Most recently, I tried to get into HomeAssistant, but the ZWave support was terrible. I'm using an Aeotec USB stick at the moment - sensors don't update, and my switch just wouldn't turn on, constantly reporting as a dead node (again, works fine when I switch over to the openhab install, so it's not a hardware error). I'm even having basic issues with non-ZWave stuff, like Hue bulbs not appearing on restart due to random networking errors (it's plugged in via a reliable Ethernet connection, not Wi-Fi). This same Z-stick worked fine with OpenHAB, so there's something about this Python OpenZWave that's sketchy. I've considered SmartThings as a bridge, but feedback I've been reading is that it's quite unreliable too.
Thanks in advance for sharing!