Outdoor Recessed Lighting Options?

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
geoffrey

Outdoor Recessed Lighting Options?

Post by geoffrey »

I'm building a project with outdoor recessed lighting connected to motion sensors, and i'm trying to decide between a few different ways of going about it, one of which is certainly z-wave. If knowing more about the project will help answer questions, I wrote it up here: http://www.geoffreywiseman.ca/blog/2018 ... n-with-pi/.

There seem to be outdoor z-wave motion sensors, but I'm not seeing anything like an outdoor recessed lighting fixture or outdoor recessed lighting bulb that supports z-wave -- does anyone know of any?

And if I can't find that, is there something that I can use to control, with z-wave, a traditional outdoor recessed lighting fixture? The z-wave site implies that relays can do that, although when I search for z-wave relays, I mostly see things that are meant to turn a traditional switch into a z-wave controller, which isn't what I'm looking for.
iMarcelxX

Re: Outdoor Recessed Lighting Options?

Post by iMarcelxX »

Please consult yourself with NDR Electric about recessed lighting options
insiorc

Re: Outdoor Recessed Lighting Options?

Post by insiorc »

I do this with standard LED lights including outdoor, I just fit a Fibaro Dimmer2 module behind the standard switch which adds the zwave. The Dimmer2 is one of the few to work with 2 wire switch wiring which is why I use it, but it also works with a neutral at the switch (better power metering if that's important). The Dimmer2 is very configurable in that you can use as a standard on/off if preferred, but dimming can be effective in lighting as you could set a setback level in relation to time or light level for effect then go brighter on motion detection etc.

After a quick skim of your blog, if just getting into zwave then this zway on an Rpi4 is a good place to start although if you've an older Rpi lying around it'll do fine to start with, zway is much easier initially than hassio as it comes with ready to go modules which get you up and running very quickly, then you can write your own code if you want it to do more. Also for the recessed lights, it might be worth considering a standard light fitting with replaceable LED bulb as it helps if one fails in future as it's cheaper to replace and you'll likely always be able to get a bulb but the same fitting could be impossible to find. There does seem to be a lack of actual zwave bulbs other than standard GLS but I now find this a good thing with just fitting the zwave module behind the standard switch (I actually replace these for the MK grid type as for dimming there are rockers, or momentary etc. but they still look standard).

If you do have neutral at the switches then your options are opened up, there are zave switch plates that do similar to the Dimmer2.
Rpi4 2Gb, Z-Way 3.2.2, UZB 5.39