Using motion detector to trigger a light based on time of day

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
New-Guy

Using motion detector to trigger a light based on time of day

Post by New-Guy »

running zwaveme ver 2.3.8 on a raspberry pi3

I’ve got a motion detector and a multi color/dimmable light in a room.
If the time is between 7am and 10pm, I want Motion to trigger the light at 99% brightness and white color - then off after two minutes.
If the time is between 10pm and 7am, I want the motion to trigger the light at 50% brightness and red color - then off after two minutes.

From the devices page I can manually do whatever I want with the light as far as color and brightness and I’ve built scenes to define color and brightness that work great when I trigger the scenes manually. But I cannot figure out how to get a motion detector to trigger a scene.
I’ve tried using a rule, but to access <= or >= time settings I have to select the “advanced” button and that causes the motion status to not be available.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can make this work?
fez

Re: Using motion detector to trigger a light based on time of day

Post by fez »

You could use a simple "If Then" rule, or the more complex "Logical Rule" to add other conditions.
Have a look in the Apps.
New-Guy

Post by New-Guy »

fez - thanks for the help, ive worked on it for a bit and have setup an 'if then' rule, and even tried using the 'logical rule' but neither work.
the basic setup for both is:

if
'zooz button' (the motion detector) is 'on'
and the time is >= 0701
and the time is <= 2201
then
activate the scene 'room light on at 99% intensity'

the motion device is ok, i can use an app called 'light controlled by motion sensors and rockers' to trigger the room light using the same motion sensor and that will work with no problem.
i also installed the app 'trap events from sensors and remotes' - which gives me a device button on the homepage to manually trigger the motion event.
and that works, when ive got the 'light controlled by motion sensors and rockers' active, but if i disable that rule and enable the 'if then' described above neither the motion sensor nor the manual button activation will cause the setup to work properly.

ive got the feeling im missing something small, i keep poking around (changing the sequence of the conditionals, changing it to an 'or' for the conditions, changing times, ...) but i just cant get it going.
New-Guy

Post by New-Guy »

got it working.

i deleted the rules and started over from scratch, but this time i enabled the checkbox for "Trigger the rule check on change of any device mentioned in conditions." and it works just fine.