Raspberry Pi not booting, no backup, start again?

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
uchuff

Raspberry Pi not booting, no backup, start again?

Post by uchuff »

Hello all.

I have had a small Z-Wave network controlled by Z-Way on a Raspberry Pi with a RaZberry daughter board for about 3 years. A few months ago the Pi wouldn't boot, at the time I figured the SD Card was . I set up a Linux virtual machine on my laptop and followed a general Raspberry Pi corrupt SD card guide to try and repair things but didn't really get anywhere. Right now the Pi isn't booting anything up on the screen. I never used the backup feature in Z-Way. I could mount the SD card in Linux and see contents.

I figure since I had a first gen Pi I'd take the opportunity to upgrade to a 3B+ as there's a couple of other things I'd like to run on there too so the bump in speed would be beneficial. I also bought a high endurance SD card and fully intend to use the backup function.

Can I just install from scratch, put my 2015 RaZberry in the new Pi and add my devices? I think I'd need to exclude them and re-include them? Can I do all that from the new install?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Devices:

2x Fibaro Dimmer
2x Fibaro Dimmer 2
2x TKBHome sockets
1x Aotec Multisensor motion sensor
enbemokel

Re: Raspberry Pi not booting, no backup, start again?

Post by enbemokel »

As you only have 7 devices it´s easier to do a full restart, use the newest stretch image and go on.
If it were about 100 devices I would install a old jessy version, and copy my old z-way-server directory to see what happen :-)
The devices should be still in the Razberry daugher board.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

If there were not security in those devices, you can just install a fresh Z-Way and do interview. With secure devices you can't do this as the network key is lost.

Also it is a good idea to use the cloud backup
uchuff

Post by uchuff »

Thank you both for your replies, much appreciated.
PoltoS wrote:
14 Feb 2019 22:57
If there were not security in those devices, you can just install a fresh Z-Way and do interview. With secure devices you can't do this as the network key is lost.
Thanks, how would I know? It doesn't sound like something I configured. If there is security am I hosed?
PoltoS wrote:
14 Feb 2019 22:57
Also it is a good idea to use the cloud backup
Yeah absolutely, no excuses there and it will be one of the first things I do once I'm (hopefully) back up and running.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Security is used by default. You can try it - if devices do not report most of features after fresh install and I review, then re-include them