I would like to support a lot of Z-wave devices as much as possible.

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
saymyname

I would like to support a lot of Z-wave devices as much as possible.

Post by saymyname »

Hi everyone,

I am implementing my own smart home application and using Z-wave device support ( Because I have a few Z-wave devices :)). As you can see in the topic title I don't want to support just my a few Z-wave devices because when I buy a new device from any company It can be better if my system can recognize this new device directly.
To do this I am thinking to use the following configuration file in my application;
https://github.com/OpenZWave/open-zwave ... ecific.xml

Actually, it is easy to get the device manufacturer specific information from Z-wave device and to get all information about the device from the manufacturer_specific.xml but in my application z-wave devices are added with device short descriptions because my UI application wants the device short description from my Z-wave application and it displays the device by the short description. (For example, a short description should be 'plug' for all plugs and switches for all Z-wave devices. Or it can be 'doorsensor' for all door sensors because the frontend implementation detects a device container with using this device description.).

To do this the implementation that I described above I need to add shortDescripton parameter for all Z-wave device in the manufacturer_specific.xml but I don't want to do this because in an update I need to modify this document. So I tried to describe my problems and now how should I detect Z-wave device and how to support all devices from the other smart home systems or what is your recommendations ?.
tin921

Re: I would like to support a lot of Z-wave devices as much as possible.

Post by tin921 »

i am reading a few questions here:

1- "how to support all devices from the other smart home systems"
if you are talking about nest, ring, hue, alexa, zigbee, bluetooth, wifi etc, then it's not related to z-wave. because they are different network protocols, which are not comparable. integration is only possible with a hub/controller/gateway that can connect to all those protocols individually.

2- "add shortDescripton parameter for all Z-wave device in the manufacturer_specific.xml"
i won't suggest this. a good hub software (like zway here) should allow you to add the description, label and icon for each individual device.

3- "a lot of Z-wave devices as much as possible."
one z-wave network can support 232 devices according to specification. however, setup gets a bit challenging when you have more than 50. above 100, network performance can get choke (a few second delays) every once in a while depending on all the wakeup and reporting intervals. a lot of main devices have 5-10 minutes report interval by default. when all 100 devices report to the controller around the same time, it keeps the controller busy for a while. in addition to that, some controller also ask the device to report, so doubling the traffic. should consider creating another z-wave network for anything above 40-50 devices.
saymyname

Re: I would like to support a lot of Z-wave devices as much as possible.

Post by saymyname »

hi @tin921,

Thanks for your response.

1-As you can see from the title and index of the question I am talking about just devices that support generic Z-wave protocol. Other protocols and devices are not supported by my application.

2- I think like you. It is not a good way to do and it will be a hard job for me to add a short name for all devices. But as I said in the question my UI application need to know device type to render necessary device badge after device inclusion.

3-I mean my application need to support devices but users don't have to add all devices at the same time.

I think my question so clear and mainly I would like to recognize any Z-wave device and looking for a way to do this