Z-Wave.Me Alexa Skill Issue

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
observing

Z-Wave.Me Alexa Skill Issue

Post by observing »

As a preface to all this, I am in the process in moving my z-wave devices from a custom software package (written by me) to the z-way server. I started by moving two devices; a Jasco applicance module of type Binary Power Switch (which is named Switch) and an Aeotec multisensor of type Routing Binary Sensor. The multisensor shows up as four different elements (which are named Motion, Temperature, Humidity, and Luminiscence). I created a Utility Room for the location of the switch and a Shed room for the multisensor

I added the alexa app to the z-way server and then added the z-wave.me alexa skill to my Amazon account. I ran into issues trying the enable the alexa skill through my phone, but was successful when I tried through alexa.amazon.com. It then went through device discovery and discovered both the Jasco and Aeotec devices. However,

1. The name of the Utility Room Switch was, simply, switch. The Utility Room designation didn't carry through in device discovery. So, I chose to create a Utility Room group under alexa and place the switch in it. This allowed me to tell alexa to "Turn on the utility room switch."

2. Only the temperature element of the Aeotec multisensor carried through in device discovery and was named, simply, temperature. Again, I created a Shed group and placed the temperature device in it. This allowed me to ask alexa "What is the shed temperature?"

The humidity, luminiscence, and motion elements did not carry through and I have no workaround for that. I'd like to open an issue about this, but I don't know where to raise it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
PoltoS

Re: Z-Wave.Me Alexa Skill Issue

Post by PoltoS »

Hello!

1. Indeed, room names do not propagate to Alexa as it is unable to handle room names from smart home bridges and instead deals with own rooms. So the way you did it is the correct way. You can also rename the Switch to Utility Room Switch in Alexa (this will not affect Z-Way in any way) instead of creating rooms in Alexa.

2. Indeed, only temperature is supported currently. I don't see luminance and humidity to be supported by Alexa: https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/docs ... -apis.html

And motion should be fixed by this: https://github.com/Z-Wave-Me/home-autom ... 83f23542b2
observing

Re: Z-Wave.Me Alexa Skill Issue

Post by observing »

Thanks for your prompt reply and attention to this matter.