Moving from RaZberry2 --> RaZberry 7 Pro

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
Oekel

Moving from RaZberry2 --> RaZberry 7 Pro

Post by Oekel »

Hi there,

(My mother tongue is German, but I hope for a faster answer if I ask it in English right away ;)

I Own following Construction:
- Raspberry 4B
- Ethershield (Power over LAN)
- RasZberry 2.0
- OpenHab working wit 34 Nodes

Created a Backup: z-way-backup-2023-08-07-12-53.zbk
---------------------------------

I have 2x RaZBerry 7 Pro

Code: Select all

$ ssh openhabian@192.168.1.11
 $ sudo shutdown -h 0
Replaced the RaZberry 2 with one of the 7 Pro

Code: Select all

$ ssh openhabian@192.168.1.11
 $ sudo systemctl stop openhab.service
 $ sudo service z-way-server start
http://192.168.1.11:8083/expert/#/network/controller
Updated Stock firmaware to --> Die aktuelle Firmware-Version ist: 7.36 [Bootloader: 65535] (07.08.2023)

Restored Backup (including "Reset Netzwork topology") --> failed
Restored Backup (NOT "Reset Netzwork topology") --> success

But I can not see any Nodes and even aver a reboot and starting OpenHAB, all Nodes are RED.

What did I wrong and how can I sucessfully do the process?

Greatings Oekel
seattleneil

Re: Moving from RaZberry2 --> RaZberry 7 Pro

Post by seattleneil »

Z-Way supports 2 different backups. One is made from the expert UI (file ends with .zbk) and contains Z-Wave network information and the other is made from the smarthome UI (file ends with .zab) and contains both Z-Way app-level and Z-Wave network information. In older Z-Way versions, a full restore required both backup files. However, in newer Z-Way versions, the Z-Way developers simplified the backup/restore process by combining both backups into the .zab file.

You used the .zbk backup file and wrote: "Restored Backup (including "Reset Netzwork topology") --> failed". As you've experienced, to migrate to another RaZberry board, the new board must be programmed with information from the old board (i.e., the restore needs to be successful). Otherwise, the new board will have a unique Z-Wave network ID and won't see any of your Z-Wave devices as the devices are configured with the network ID of your old board. Perhaps the .zbk file can only be used if you're moving between similar board types (i.e., RaZberry2 -> RaZberry2, or RaZberry 7 -> RaZberry 7).

Since restoring the .zbk failed, I suggest you do the following:
1. re-install the RaZberry2 board
2. verify Z-Way is able to see and control your devices correctly
3. make a backup from the smarthome UI (http://[IP ADDRESS]:8083/smarthome/#/admin) - file ends with .zab
4. replace the RaZberry2 board with the RaZberry 7 Pro
5. restore the .zab backup file