Frustration: Where to Start?!?

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
markolbert

Frustration: Where to Start?!?

Post by markolbert »

I am trying to write some code so that the Razberry will communicate certain events to a nodejs app I've written.

Unfortunately, the Razberry documentation is almost completely useless at trying to understand how to add such functionality to the basic system. I've read all sorts of examples on this forum, and elsewhere, that imply all you have to do is add code to main.js. Or create a separate file and load it via a setting in the UI that appears to control the loading of user-written modules.

But the additions to main.js do not work reliably (all I'm doing right now is trying to print messages to the log when certain events occur). And the UI in v2+ appears to lack the "specify custom module" functionality. Or at least none of the references I've found as to where to go work.

Can someone either point me to a simple example of extending z-way-server, or describe to me where I can put custom code into the system and get it loaded upon startup?

It's very frustrating to have all this interesting potential at my fingertips, but not being able to access it because the documentation is incomplete. It'd be very helpful to have something in between the "here's how to use the UI" and "here's the reference manual for the system" for those of us who are looking to extend its functionality.