z-wave/z-way question

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
powerhome

z-wave/z-way question

Post by powerhome »

Totally new to z-wave (been reading everything I can for about a week) and coming from an insteon background so please forgive me if these questions are rather basic.

Trying to add z-wave support into my software and decided upon the Razberry to achieve this. A couple of questions.

1. Ive been trying to figure out the syntax to send an all on or all off command to my z-wave devices and finally monitored the raw commands sent from the expert ui when clicking the "All On" or "All Off" button under Control|Switch. To my surprise, it sent commandclass 39 sequentially to each of my z-wave devices. I expected a single command that all devices responded to if they were configured to respond to all on or all off. Is this really the way it works?

2. Same thing with scenes. Again, coming from an Insteon background, Im expecting to create a scene (say scene 1) combining several devices into a group (each with their own individual ramprate and level) and then sending a single command to "trigger" scene 1. Based upon my discovery with the all on / all off command, Im guessing that what I would actually do is send individual commands to each z-wave device that has been configured for scene 1 and control it with a commandclass 43 command. Is that correct?

Are there any commands that control multiple devices or all z-wave commands sent to a specific node? If so, its quite different from Insteon and I'll just have to get my head wrapped around it.

Thanks,

Dave.