Razberry driver for Windows 10 IoT ?

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
PoltoS

Re: Razberry driver for Windows 10 IoT ?

Post by PoltoS »

Windows IoT have it's own AllJoin driver that can work with UZB and certainly with RaZberry via UART too. But we have not tried it, since porting Z-Way to it would be quite complicated and will conflict with AllJoin
zhemora

Post by zhemora »

i need for Win 10 IoT driver to..., Thanks
powerhome

Post by powerhome »

Another +1 for Windows IOT driver.
ixy

Post by ixy »

+1
kenneth

Post by kenneth »

I would also like to get access through Windows IOT. I am a windows developer and it would be a perfect match to work directly in c# with your product.
tridy

Post by tridy »

Has anyone tried using it with W10 IoT? Can Windows see it?

My thoughts:

I thought about developing in C# for UZB or Razberry but then realized that for what I need and will be using it, is already on Razpberry, and I will be reinventing the wheel. What is so specific that you want to do so that the Razberry cannot do, I asked myself?

But lets say I start with AllJoyn. I try sending the command to register a device, get status, turn on and off and it is fun. As soon as I get to the part where I need to create triggers, schedules, monitors, keep the status of other devices, store it somewhere, implement security, be able to easily configure it, it will feel like a huge overkill, I think. I have done it with RF 433.92 and IR just for fun on my own, just to experiment. It is interesting just to make it work, that is true, but to make it into a more practical thing will require time and effort that will be an overkill. I looked at AllJoyn examples and even the one nicely packed does not look that appealing to me to jump into.

What I might be doing though is writing a C# wrapper for Razberry Web or C API . Obviously, it is going to be specific to Razberry but it is going to be so much easier to it this way on a higher level. Could be that in addition of Raspberry with Razberry, I will have one more Raspberry that will have Win10 IOT and communicate through the network with Razberry. And that will be much easier than starting, well ... almost from zero.

There are quite a few plugins to Z-Way as well, and if you cannot find something that you want Razberry to do, maybe exploring the plugin API and trying to make a plugin could be faster and more productive than starting almost from scratch. I do not like JS much myself (I am a C#/.Net/WCF guy) but in this case learning TypeScript (not sure if it can be used to write JS for Z-Way plugin) could be faster than doing .Net from lower level.
Marcel

Post by Marcel »

+1
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

As we know from our fellows in Microsoft, they are smoothly abandoning AllJoin. Windows IoT is not a big community neither. If we a big traction, we might thing about doing a port of Z-Way yo Win IoT, but so far there were only few persons demanding it. Compared to thousands on Raspbian...