SmartThings Hub and RaZberry

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
zimmerleut

SmartThings Hub and RaZberry

Post by zimmerleut »

I started my Z-Wave network with a RaZberry. Now, preparing to sell the house, I installed a Samsung SmartThings Hub v2.0, which is the primary controller on the Z-Wave network, and the RaZberry secondary.
I added a few new devices, included with the Smart Hub. How do I get them to show up on the RaZberry interface? I can still see all originally included devices and control them, but the new devices only show up on the Smart hub...
PoltoS

Re: SmartThings Hub and RaZberry

Post by PoltoS »

You need to re-include RaZberry (not exclude & include, but just include) - this updates list of nodes and routes.

If SmartThings is SIS (you can see it in RaZberry in Controller info tab - SIS should be the nodeId of SmartThings), it is better to use button "Request network updates from SUC/SIS" on Network Control tab. This will update list of nodes and routes.

In both cases this should initiate interview process. You can also call for NIF for each device.

All this is because secondary controller is not informed by primary during inclusion. This is "normal" in Z-Wave
dubliner

Post by dubliner »

zimmerleut wrote:I started my Z-Wave network with a RaZberry. Now, preparing to sell the house, I installed a Samsung SmartThings Hub v2.0, which is the primary controller on the Z-Wave network, and the RaZberry secondary.
Can I ask how you did this? I have two Z-Wave networks at home, an existing one on RaZberry and a new one on SmartThinga hub. I tried including the RaZberry as a secondary several times without success. Do you remember the procedure you followed?

Thanks!
brianaker

Post by brianaker »

The problem with including a SmartThings Hub into z-wave network as a secondary controller is that the SmartThings Hub makes a number of assumptions about a network in order to operate.

For instance, the SmartThings controller registers itself during inclusion as the lifeline (though in some drivers there is a periodic attempt to Associate with a device). If your RaZberry did the inclusion then the SmartThings will never register itself, hence it will never get any sensor date. The ramification of this is that many of programs you will find in the ST environment will never work :(
vlad

Post by vlad »

brianaker wrote:The problem with including a SmartThings Hub into z-wave network as a secondary controller is that the SmartThings Hub makes a number of assumptions about a network in order to operate.
The ramification of this is that many of programs you will find in the ST environment will never work :(
I just included ST as a second controller to my RaZberry. It's working fine. The only thing I cannot complete a security interview of ST. Might be because my RaZberry is 3rd gen and ST hub is 5th gen. I don't know. All my nodes which are not secured like switches and some sensors are working with ST and RaZberry simultaneously.

My lock and one sensor with security command class - do not.

To include ST, you go in ST app to ZWave utility menu and click "Join other zwave network" on RaZberry site just hit Start Inclusion (I did it from expert UI). After that you will see "Static PC controller" in your zwave device list.

PS: I did it for Google Home voice command integration. Now I can manipulate my lights/dimmers/switches with Google Assistant through ST hub.
brianaker

Post by brianaker »

Let me give you hard example. If you are using Ecolink PIR then Smartthings will assume that it will be installed in Group 1 of the Ecolink. The Ecolink has though two groups. The second group only receives the basic on/off commands from the PIR. To make the Ecolink work with Smartthings you will need a custom driver that will handle the Basic commands.

In some cases the Smartthings driver for a device will boot another controller out of a particular group and install itself, though sometimes it won't which will result in the Smartthings controller never answering any changes in status/etc of devices.

One thing I am stuck on is that I haven't figured out how to get the Razpberry to use a network key.
vlad

Post by vlad »

Yup, I have to write device driver for one of my PIR sensor vendorID 330 (in ST it's called device handler) in order to make it work. But all I need a basic trigger and it's working fine now.
Other things when I use ST to turn on/off GE switch - RaZberry does not see anything, so there is no way to sync this switch. But when I switch it from RaZberry UI then ST updates no problem. Maybe they do periodical poll? Have no clue.

EDIT: ST does polling and pretty much very often, like every second. I have 7 GE switches (those which did not send direct notification to the hub when operated manually). So ST does polling every second 7 times, then have pause for 3 sec. Then rinse and repeat...
brianaker

Post by brianaker »

The reason that the SmartThings controller sees the GE switch change states, and let me assume for a moment that you are using GE 12722 switches, is that the ST hub looks for NIF packets that the GE switch generates when you "tap" the switch (specifically "tap" not "held").
When the ST controller sees a NIF packet it then sends a BasicGet to the device to determine its state. The controller does this irrespective of being the primary hub ( or NodeID 1, which is an often falsely reported belief ).
It is a hack.