Razberry Range?

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
JHCain

Razberry Range?

Post by JHCain »

I have a new Razberry Z-Wave + board, and the range is not good. Anything more than 3 or 4 meters, line of sight, and the devices fail regularly. Commands send TO the device seemingly ok, but the reception is very very poor.

I am using this with homeseer software on my Raspberry Pi 3, but also have just installed the Z-Wave.me build on my raspberry pi to test, with similar results.

What should I try, to improve this result?
enbemokel

Re: Razberry Range?

Post by enbemokel »

Google Antenna and zwave and Raspberry, there are some modifications.
I just solderd a simple cable, ca. 8.6cm to my Z-wave board and now I got minimum 20m distance. Before
i have the same poor range like you.
Or, just buy the new version, seems they (Z-Way-Team) get rid of the range problems with new hardware.
JHCain

Post by JHCain »

Ahh, interesting, thank you very much! Which is the "new hardware" version? The one I have looks like this:

http://www.vesternet.com/media/catalog/ ... eeraz2.jpg
CudaNet

Post by CudaNet »

You have the latest version and includes instructions on extending the range using an add-on antenna.
JHCain wrote:Ahh, interesting, thank you very much! Which is the "new hardware" version? The one I have looks like this:

http://www.vesternet.com/media/catalog/ ... eeraz2.jpg
JHCain

Post by JHCain »

CudaNet wrote:You have the latest version and includes instructions on extending the range using an add-on antenna.
Ok, very interesting, thanks. I'll admit I hadn't read that far in the instruction sheet.

Now I'm concerned that my board "stock" out of the box, is still not very effective - it seems like I should get more than the 20 feet of range I have now with the standard configuration? I recognize the antenna in the board isn't in an optimal position, but even if I carefully locate the unit so the antenna is pointing toward the z-wave device, I can't get it to communicate reliably more than 10 feet? Is this normal z-wave behavior?

Thank you again for pointing out what I should have spotted in the manual!
enbemokel

Post by enbemokel »

Which devices do you use with your Razberry, maybe the problem isn´t your Razberry?!
I was thinking of buying the new version, but now i will wait some more user experience.
JHCain

Post by JHCain »

enbemokel wrote:Which devices do you use with your Razberry...
I've got an assortment of plug-in modules, and an ecolink door sensor for testing. I'm going to try the external antenna today - It seems like the on board antenna is in a pretty RF hostile environment, being in close planar proximity to the operating Raspberry Pi board. Worth a shot, at least.
CudaNet

Post by CudaNet »

You're very welcome, glad this helped out. Please post back with the results after you extend the antenna (I've been meaning to do this).

--CN
JHCain wrote:
CudaNet wrote:You have the latest version and includes instructions on extending the range using an add-on antenna.
Ok, very interesting, thanks. I'll admit I hadn't read that far in the instruction sheet.

Now I'm concerned that my board "stock" out of the box, is still not very effective - it seems like I should get more than the 20 feet of range I have now with the standard configuration? I recognize the antenna in the board isn't in an optimal position, but even if I carefully locate the unit so the antenna is pointing toward the z-wave device, I can't get it to communicate reliably more than 10 feet? Is this normal z-wave behavior?

Thank you again for pointing out what I should have spotted in the manual!
JHCain

Post by JHCain »

CudaNet wrote:You're very welcome, glad this helped out. Please post back with the results after you extend the antenna (I've been meaning to do this).
Just trimmed off the on-board antenna, and soldered in an 82mm length of wire. No change. Range is dismal - as in, not even 20 feet in the same room. Starting to get a little annoyed, really. I keep thinking there's some setting or configuration I'm missing, but I haven't found anything yet!

Oh, well. I guess I'll try a USB stick?
enigma

Post by enigma »

Return the Board and get a new one.... My razberry board goes 100ft through 3 6" insulated walls and through one partial 6" concrete wall without a problem... I would think that there is something wrong with the radio on your board.