Razberry upgrade

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
Eckhard

Razberry upgrade

Post by Eckhard »

Dear all,

I am planning to replace my very old razberry board with a current one. Beside that I like to reinstall Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye. I will use the same Raspberry Pi like before (Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Rev 1.1).

I not really found a manual to do so. If I understood right here in the forum I only need to restore the backup. Following questions on that:
  • Do I need to restore both backups from expert (zbk) and smarthome (zab)?
  • Is it required to have the same software version of z-way-server on the old and the the new system?
  • Is there any need for a rpi-update?
  • Could you tell me the needed steps for the whole process?
  • Can I go back to the old system if something fails or are there chances within the devices?
Thanks for your help!
Eckhard
lanbrown

Re: Razberry upgrade

Post by lanbrown »

If you want a back-out plan....then use a new MicroSD card. This way the new system is only installed on the new card. If you have issues and need to go back to your previous setup, you just put the old Razberry board in and the old MicroSD card and you are back where you started.

You should have both backups.

Yes, you should be using the same version of Z-Way that the backup is from.

I'm in the middle of swapping my Raspberry 4B's out and going to CM4 modules with a carrier board. I'll be using the same Razberry module and I'm just restoring from a backup. I don't need to worry about a backup of the Razberry board since it is the same board in my case. I'm already running 4.0.2 and the new system will also be running 4.0.2. Only one system that I have is not running Bullseye and that is because it is running something else as well. So this given me the opportunity to split Z-Way off to a separate system.

You could also separate the upgrade out to different phases. Without knowing what OS you're running nor the version of z-way. If the version of Z-Way you're running could support the newer board, you could just upgrade the board and keep the OS the same. Once you have validated that everything is working, then move to upgrading the OS. If the version of z-way cannot support the new board, then you could just do the OS upgrade (new MicroSD card though) and keep the old board. Then you can make sure everything works before upgrading the board.

There have been other that have documented the process they followed to move to a new board. You might start there.