Horstmann HRT4-ZW thermostat

Discussions about existing Z-Wave device and their usage with Z-Way/Z-Cloud/Z-Box
PoltoS

Horstmann HRT4-ZW thermostat

Post by PoltoS »

Horstmann HRT4-ZW thermostat is fully supported by Z-Way/Z-Cloud! (in reply to another post)Horstmann thermostat (like Danfoss Living Connect) can be controlled in manual or in automatic mode. Manual mode will just send the temperature to be maintained to the device.Automatic mode is the best way to control your thermostat. You can define a climate schedule in a zone, put your device in that zone (on the Map tab) and switch the thermostat to automatic mode (on the Device Control -> Thermostats tab), and enjoy!Once this is done, Z-Way/Z-Cloud will automatically check if the device placed in the zone supports Climate Schedule Control Command Class and if it isn't, it will generate internal schedules (not visible in Automation->Schedules tab) to control your thermostat. (Danfoss device does support Climate Schedule Control Command Class, Horstmann does not - but Z-Way fill manage to present you exactly same user interface for both devices and handle all the work itself).Note that to enable temperature sensor in Horstmann HRT4-ZW thermostat (to be able to read actual temperature), you have to set parameter No 1 to value 255 (can be done using user friendly interface in Z-Way/Z-Cloud).
Soepkip

I can confirm that the HRT4

Post by Soepkip »

I can confirm that the HRT4-ZW is working with Z-Cloud. I can read the current temperature and adjust the setpoint (or manually turn the heater on and off). Thanks Z-cloud!!

I would like to be able to set the temperature in 0.5deg C increments in stead of 1 deg C increments, which should be possible according to http://www.maartendamen.com/2011/06/hor ... open-ends/

A device limitation is the 4 minute wake-up time for the remote, but thats up to Horstmann and because of battery life..

So far, I like it!!

PoltoS

Indeed, you can set temperature with precision up to 0.1°C

Post by PoltoS »

But in user interface we decided to restrict this to 1°C units, since in most cases it is enough.Z-Cloud still allows you to use better precision by sending commands using Z-Way API.For example, if your thermostat nodeId is 2, you can execute the following command from Scene Script (in Expert mode you can attach a script to a scene): ZWaveAPI.devices[2].instances[0].ThermostatSetPoint.Set(1, 25.6)You can also run same command from JavaScript console of your browser by executing runCmd('devices[2].instances[0].ThermostatSetPoint.Set(1, 25.6)'); Or even by using external software accessing to Z-Cloud web server by HTTP POST request.To complicated? We still think that if you want a 0.1°C precision, you are expert in heating and you can tweak with Z-Way.
Soepkip

I understand the restriction

Post by Soepkip »

I understand the restriction in the GUI, the list of options would become very long as well.... but maybe it could be in 0.5C increments? BTW, how does Z-Cloud configure the values of parameters 1,2&3? (I mean what are the standard values assigned to this parameters by Z-Cloud?)

I will look into the HTTP POST requests, because I would also want to control the device from Android. This should consist of "CURRENT TEMPERATURE" & "CURRENT SETPOINT" lables, and "INCREASE" and "DECREASE" buttons.

Would I be able to send a command like
ThermostatSetPoint.Set(1, [(ThermostatSetpoint.Get)+0.5]) ? Or would I need to assign a separate variable which calculates the 'amount' I need the setpoint to be to achieve a 0.5C increment?

One more question: is it possible to LOG the room temperature every x minutes? I would like to be able to see the temp history...! (In Z-Cloud)
PoltoS

Z-Cloud do not configure parameters without your instrutions

Post by PoltoS »

To change parameters of your HRT4-ZW you need to click on appropriate radio buttons and press Apply on the bottom in Device Configuration tab.(Only Alarm, Association, MultiChannel Association, Protection and Wakeup are automatically configured after inclusion).You can send a +0.5C command. I will look like (for Scene Script)ZWaveAPI.devices[X].instances[0].ThermostatSetPoint.Set(1, ZWaveAPI.devices[X].instances[0].ThermostatSetPoint.data[1].val.value + 0.5)As HTTP it will look slightly different:POST /ZWaveAPI/Run/devices[X].instances[0].ThermostatSetPoint.Set(1, self.M.ZWaveAPI.devices[X].instances[0].ThermostatSetPoint.data[1].val.value + 0.5)Note that here you have to add "self.M." in the middle of the command. We will change this in future to have exactly same syntax as in Scenes Scripts.Yes, you can log current temperature. You should have a default Schedule that polls sensors every 1 or 2 minutes. If you have deleted it, create a new one (Scene with poll script and a Schedue running it - reffer to this post to see examples). This script will just "ask" the device for a report. Once HRT4-ZW wakes up, it will send a report (so, period is limited by wakeup interval value you configured). Then you have two solutions to log it:Make a rule that catches the report from the sensor and run a script to store it. This will give you exact time of the report (best method, since thermostat can also send you unsolicited reports to Association group 5).Make a schedule (or include in same as for poll script) for a script that reads the value.How to store? A script can write it to csv (reffer to python csv module), send to external SQL, Google Metering, Cacti, MRTG, Munin, SNMP or something else. Z-Cloud does not provide any graph plotter, since we prefer to use specialized tools for charts and graphs.
Soepkip

Nice!

Post by Soepkip »

Thanks a lot, this seems to be doable quite easily!

CSV is fine, I can easily import into any program and I can understand it's not included in Zcloud.

Again, thanks for your fast and comprehensive feedback, I can run off and apply this immediately, fantastic!
Soepkip

Question about CVS files

Post by Soepkip »

How would I open/save a local file (from user's point of view) when all the code is executed on the remote Zcloud server?

I seem to have to 0.5C thing in there using scenes, problem is the communication between Zcloud and the thermostat seem a bit dead... last contact on wednesday, while the sleep interval is set at 256 seconds!

(By the way... the SENSOR values seem to get true to Zcloud in a good way (updated 21:14, few minutes ago) but the SETPOINT set from within Zcloud (now 15deg C) is NOT being picked up by the thermostat... while it was before!)
PoltoS

You have to use HTTP requests

Post by PoltoS »

You have to use HTTP requests or SQL connection to push these data to a server. Or use another "cloud" like GoogleMetering.

Make sure your thermostat is configured to report wakes up Z-Cloud (usually node 1). Also note that if you don't change temperature on the thermostat, it will not report it's setpoint. Same with Z-Cloud - unless you change the temperature in user interface, Z-Cloud do not communicate with the thermostat.

If Sensor values comes regulary, but Setpoint is not sent out, this means that the thermostat is not sending a Wakeup Notification. Without these notifications Z-Cloud is not allowed to sent packets to the node even if it receives them!

Hope this will help to tune your configs.
Soepkip

As far as I know, the HRT4

Post by Soepkip »

As far as I know, the HRT4 thermostat unit only has three paramters to set:
1 report temp, 2 celcius/fahrenheit, 3 sensitivity in 0.1 deg

The thermostat USED to communicate with ZCloud, but the last communication now has been February 1st, as indicated by device status.
There also is a large queu of commands waiting to be sent to the thermostat, but they are not being processed. Can you help as to what setting might be causing this problem?

(Temperature is still being sent to ZCloud, but thats it... the communucation between thermostat and boiler switch works fine)
PoltoS

Double check Wakeup Interval settings and node to be notified

Post by PoltoS »

These parameters can be found just below Configuration section in Device Configuration tab.Check your wakeup interval (seems to be reasonable, since device sends you temperature sensor values) and node to be notified (it should be node 1 if Z-Cloud runs on the stick which is primary - most probable case).Just to test - communications should happen if you wake up your thermostat manually pressing on the wheel. If this is the case, you have some wrong node in wakeup settings.