Compatibility Guide

Discussions about existing Z-Wave device and their usage with Z-Way/Z-Cloud/Z-Box
thaui

Compatibility Guide

Post by thaui »

Since I am using the Razberry device I am chasing for a list of devices which will work for sure with the Razberry unit and the z-way server. I have also asked this question to the responsible persons who are strongly supporting this device but without any success. So each user is on it's own to find out what is compatible and what is not. This will cost time and money but the developer of the Razberry board and the Razberry software do not really care. I was happy that I found a compatibility guide http://wiki.m.nu/index.php/Kompatibilitetsguide_Z-Wave which helped me a lot. If the Razberry device is with a question mark you can normally rely on it (the device will not work). This is something I will expect from a company who is selling the Razberry board. Maybe this list will help other users not buying sensors and actors which will not work with the Razberry unit. With the knowledge today I would better decide to invest in another device than a Razberry board for sure. The possibilities of a good idea is going bust with not working devices. So the Razberry Gen5 board is strongly promoted but until now I did not find any Gen5 device which will work with the Razberry Gen5 board. The devices which will work with the Razberry board are very limited compared to other solution which cost a few $ more.
pierre2302

Re: Compatibility Guide

Post by pierre2302 »

If I'm not mistaken, all that to the site: http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/

is compatible Razberry
" Raspi 2 (RaZberry) / Raspi B (Razberry) " With OpenRemote Free 2.2.0_TTS-Email-Serial and Z-Way
thaui

Post by thaui »

Maybe you are right but the pepper1 database is confusing, double entries of older and newer devices not very clear in the description, sometimes based on very old firmware versions.The rollershutter FGR-221 from Fibaro for example is in the pepper1 database but didn't work with my Razberry installation.
Last edited by thaui on 07 Apr 2015 23:02, edited 1 time in total.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

Well fwiw: The list has the StellaZ with a question mark towards RaZberry. I have 10 of these devices running without a problem. One of the devices even was a preproduction version that was compatible from day 1, and has run for a year and nine months on one set of batteries.
So the list definitively is not authorative. In contrast to HC2, HClite, Vera and Zipabox, RaZberry only has one red mark. I think the RaZberry has not yet been tested as extensively as the other platforms, which imho has led to a rather unbalanced comparison chart.

That being said, it would indeed be good to have a list of problem combinations. I deliberately say combinations, because sometimes RaZberry may be wrong, but we do have reports on this forum that point to devices that have not been properly implemented. Sometimes due to a sloppy manufacturer, sometimes to ambiguous Z-Wave specification.
pofs

Post by pofs »

pierre2302 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, all that to the site: http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/

is compatible Razberry
In a better world all z-wave devices should be compatible with each other. But reality sucks, so there are issues with various devices and controllers :)

Many devices have minor firmware bugs, and z-way is rather strict when it comes to following the standard. So some devices may not pass the full interview.
But in most cases those devices are working (fully or partially) even if interview is not completed. There's actually very few devices that don't work at all. But some devices may require configuration to make them work (like Fibaro devices with broken multi-channel associations).

There's also some new Gen5 devices with issues, and we're in touch with vendors to resolve them.

P.S. Of course, neither RaZberry firmware nor Z-Way software is flawless, but we're working hard to make it such :) So you're welcome to report any issues (along with log file, device model, software version etc.)
thaui

Post by thaui »

@pz1 thanks for your reply. This was the reason why I did not buy stalla z devices. I will order one and see what happens. Based on your feedback I have edited the Compatibility Guide and changed the StellaZ device status under Razberry as supported. Let's see how my sample will work which I get in tghe next few days. I let you know.