[userModule] Thermostat Control (Updated 2016/10/06)

Tips, Tricks and Scripts to enhance your home automation and workaround known device bugs, limitations and incompatibilities
maros

[userModule] Thermostat Control (Updated 2016/10/06)

Post by maros »

Control multiple radiator valves or thermostats using a virtual thermostat using advanced rules based on presence modes, time and day of week. The module will create a virtual thermostat device that allows manual overriding of the calculated setpoints. Additionally a switch will be created to entirely enable/disable thermostat control.

The module supports the creation of multiple schedules that trigger based on the presence state (provided by the Presence module), time of day and day of week.

Multiple radiator valves or thermostats may be grouped in a zone. These zones may have additional schedules that either override (absolute setpoints). or augment the global schedules (relative setpoints).

Tested with Z-Way version v2.2.4
Bug/Issue tracker at https://github.com/maros/Zway-ThermostatControl/issues
Documentation at https://github.com/maros/Zway-Thermosta ... /README.md
Download at https://github.com/maros/Zway-Thermosta ... l/releases

Installation can be done directly via git or via the the Zway App-Store. Install the BaseModule first.
Last edited by maros on 04 Feb 2017 15:20, edited 7 times in total.
Z-Way 2.2.4 on Raspi B | My Zway GitHub repos | Amazon Wishlist to support module development
remoticz

Re: [userModule] Thermostat Control

Post by remoticz »

This looks like a great module. What kind of thermostats do you use? I did have Danfoss, but they are horrible
v2.1.1 raspi2
maros

Post by maros »

Currently I'm using both Stella and Danfoss LC-13 with Vera Lite, and planning to switch to ZWay within the next couple of months. Usually after summer Danfoss valves will need one or two weeks to get back to normal operation, but then they mostly work fine.
Z-Way 2.2.4 on Raspi B | My Zway GitHub repos | Amazon Wishlist to support module development
remoticz

Post by remoticz »

maros wrote: Usually after summer Danfoss valves will need one or two weeks to get back to normal operation, but then they mostly work fine.
With the Vera I assume? (I had the older Danfoss LC. I heard the newer LC13 is better)
v2.1.1 raspi2
alexnm

Re: [userModule] Thermostat Control (Updated 2015/11/03)

Post by alexnm »

I tried to use these module with Night mode only. But this works only when Presence status is also enabled. If Presence is set to OFF then Thermostat always sets default temperature and doesn't react to changes of Night mode.
Is it an expected behavior?
maros

Post by maros »

Yes, this is the expected behaviour. I currently support four presence modes:
  • Home/Day
  • Home/Night
  • Away (both day and night)
  • Vacation (both day and night)
If you need to have a separate setpoints for away/day and away/night then you can create multiple rules with timeFrom and timeTo settings in conjunction with the "Away" presence mode. The "Night" Mode is meant to be triggered either automatically (based on a predefined time) or manually by the home-owner when he/she goes to sleep. So in the latter case it does not make a whole lot of sense to distinguish between day/away and night/away.
alexnm

Post by alexnm »

Thank you! I will try to configure this way.
stellavision

Post by stellavision »

Schedules are not working with version 2.2.0. Possibly something to do with the cron issue.
maros

Post by maros »

Unfortunately I cannot investigate this issue since I'm running 2.1.1 and not going to upgrade as long as some major issues are still open. However ThermostatControl is not using the Cron module, but sets timeouts directly via setTimeout. However, i noticed that even in 2.1.1 sometimes the timeout callbacks are never called.

A quick hack to fix this would be to call the calculateSetpoint method every couple of minutes
self.interval = setInterval(_.bind(self.calculateSetpoint,self),1000*60*2);

And clean it up in the stop method
clearInterval(self.interval);
self.interval = undefined;

However this prevents you from setting manual setpoints via the virtual thermostat device.
anesthesia

Re: [userModule] Thermostat Control (Updated 2016/04/21)

Post by anesthesia »

Hi, thanks for this module. I tried to use it for scheduling with the Heatit Thermostat. But it only works when i uncheck all days. I don't use presence states. My Z-Way Version is 2.2.3. Is there a known issue when using the days in a heating plan? Thanks in advance.