[userModule] ForecastIO weather module (Updated 2016/06/01)

Tips, Tricks and Scripts to enhance your home automation and workaround known device bugs, limitations and incompatibilities
maros

[userModule] ForecastIO weather module (Updated 2016/06/01)

Post by maros »

This plugin queries the ForecastIO API and creates up to sevem multilevel sensor devices showing
  • the current weather conditions
  • the weather forecast
  • the low forecast (optional)
  • the high forecast (optional)
  • the current humidity (optional)
  • the current wind (optional)
  • the air pressure (optional)
It can distinguish between Celsius and Fahrenheit, as well as between metric and imperial units. Furthermore, almost all data returned from the API can be accessed via device metrics. The module is fully interchangeable with the WeatherUnderground plugin since it uses the same metrics names for most data.

Tested with Z-Way version v2.1.1, v2.2.1, v.2.2.2
Bug/Issue tracker at https://github.com/maros/Zway-ForecastIO/issues
Documentation at https://github.com/maros/Zway-ForecastI ... /README.md
Download at https://github.com/maros/Zway-ForecastIO/releases

Installation can be done directly via git or via the the Zway App-Store.
Last edited by maros on 20 Jun 2016 10:00, edited 7 times in total.
Z-Way 2.2.4 on Raspi B | My Zway GitHub repos | Amazon Wishlist to support module development
pz1

Re: [userModule] ForecastIO weather module

Post by pz1 »

Maros,
Great that you are sharing this with us again. One upfront question: What is the advantage of ForcastIO over WeatherUnderground?
maros

Post by maros »

There are some minor differences. First of all they provide hourly forecasts (for some locations they offer even higher resolutions). This can be quite handy when trying to optimize ventilation schedules. Their rain forecast also offers slightly more data (eg. for plant watering schedules). Then they also offer some basic air quality metrics. On the other hand , compared to WeatherUnderground, they lack solar/uv index data (eg. for shading control)

But in the end it basically boils down to one question: Which service has the best data for your location. Since the weather services operate with different data sources, (eg. European weather data in Forecast.io usually comes from the Norwegian Meteorological Institute) there might be some differences in the quality of the forecast.
Z-Way 2.2.4 on Raspi B | My Zway GitHub repos | Amazon Wishlist to support module development
pz1

Post by pz1 »

Thanks.
For me in this often cloudy country (nl) a reliable forecast of solar radiation in the next 2-3 hours would be interesting.
I have been playing with some logic that switches on washers when I have a certain amount of Solar Energy production. A more fine grain prediction of solar influx could help optimise captured solar energy utilisation.

link: On the Openremote site I have described the basic idea. (Access to that draft document requires registration as a user on the openremote forum)
maros

Post by maros »

Forecast.io offers hourly cloud coverage forecasts. In conjunction with suncalc.js (3rd party library that I also use for my Astronomy module) you could calculate a basic forecast for solar panels.
WeatherUnderground on the other hand provides better data for current conditions.

I'd say "Nomen est omen" for both services ;-)
pz1

Post by pz1 »

thanks
joerod

Post by joerod »

When I try and use this module I get the following error.

Code: Select all

Cannot instantiate module: Zway-ForecastIO: TypeError: undefined is not a function
What am I doing wrong?
maros

Post by maros »

@joerod: More verbose log (including line numbers + a couple of lines before & after this message) would be helpful.

Please also note that the module needs to be installed in /opt/z-way-server/automation/modules/ForecastIO/ and not in /opt/z-way-server/automation/modules/Zway-ForecastIO/
pz1

Post by pz1 »

I guess you meant:
be installed in /opt/z-way-server/automation/userModules/ForecastIO/