A more generic e-mail app!

This is a collection of wishes and needs for the next versions of Z-Way/Z-Cloud/Z-Box
PoltoS

Re: A more generic e-mail app!

Post by PoltoS »

Thanks for pointing that. We have close it to doublecheck security measures again. Hopefully it was not in production yet. There was no release version using that service yet.
tissi

Post by tissi »

PoltoS wrote:Thanks for pointing that. We have close it to doublecheck security measures again. Hopefully it was not in production yet. There was no release version using that service yet.
Too late, I used this app, after download two days ago. I was wondering, that today this app doesn´t work any more. After unistall I can´t download the app again. When can we use the app again?
klaasjoerg

Post by klaasjoerg »

Well, if someone do not like to use this app, ifttt is also a good alternative, unless someone want to keep it completely locally...
seattleneil

Post by seattleneil »

I installed the msmtp package and have been very happy (apt install msmtp).

E-mails are sent using my gmail e-mail account with the following /etc/msmtprc config file (with USER@XXXXX.com as a placeholder for your gmail e-mail address and APP-PASSWORD-ZZZZZ being a Google app password associated with USER@XXXXX.com). For info on gmail app passwords, see: https: //support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en#zippy=%2Cwhy-you-may-need-an-app-password

#
# Config file for msmtp
#
# Set default values for all following accounts.
defaults
auth on
tls on
tls_starttls on
tls_trust_file /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
logfile /var/log/msmtp.log

# Gmail
account gmail
host smtp.gmail.com
port 587
from USER@XXXXX.com
user USER@XXXXX.com
password APP-PASSWORD-ZZZZZ

# Set a default account
account default : gmail

To send e-mail from the command line (useful for testing msmtp), I installed mailutils (apt install mailutils). The following command will send a test e-mail message to USER@XXXXX.com:

echo this is a test | mail USER@XXXXX.com

The file /var/log/msmtp.log should show if the e-mail was sent successfully.