Create CommandClasses with "older" versions?

Discussion about Z-Uno product. Visit http://z-uno.z-wave.me for more details.
A.Harrenberg

Create CommandClasses with "older" versions?

Post by A.Harrenberg »

Hello,
sorry if that has been discussed somewhere before, but searching with "version" or "old" did not help to find anything...

I am supporting the development of an open source home automation system and most of the time we need to implement several functions for a command class without having a device with that command class for testing or development.

So I would like to use a Z-Uno as a "real" device to test the implemented functions. As newer versions for the command classes add new functions or extend the parameters of commands or reports, I would love to test also the different versions of a command class with lower versions than the lates version.

Would that be possible to create device with lets say a version 1 of a command class, even if the latest version is already at 5??

From what I can see, there are currently only 4(5) command classes supported:

ZUNO_SETUP_CHANNELS()
ZUNO_SWITCH_BINARY()
ZUNO_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL()
ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY()
ZUNO_SENSOR_MULTILEVEL()

Will there be more in the future? Is there some sort of a roadmap?

Thank you,
Andreas.
fhem.de - ZWave development support
PoltoS

Re: Create CommandClasses with "older" versions?

Post by PoltoS »

We plan to implement Door Lock, Meter and Color Switch in very near future (end of October).

But we always provide latest versions hiding all the Z-Wave specific work under the hood. So you can not explicitelly set older versions of CCs. (also because implementation should change, not only version number).

Z-Uno aim is to make Z-Wave simple and follow certification rules. You are asking to break them ;)
A.Harrenberg

Post by A.Harrenberg »

Hi,
thank you for the explanation. That is more or less what I expected.

But I do not understand why it would be against "certification rules" to implement an older version of a command class. As far as I know, the "rule" is that ALL commands of a command class have to be implemented and not that the most recent versions has to be implemented.

For example the class ALARM / NOTIFICATION is at version 8, even with new device I haven't seen anything newer than V4 in the market.

But anyhow, as I can't select older version of a class I can't use a Z-Uno for testing the implementation of a class on the controller side.

But for sure it is an interessing piece of hardware and I am still planning of getting one ,-) Is there a plan for implementing the NOTIFICATION class? This would make sense in conjunction with the sensor classes as well as meter and doorlock.

Thank you,
Andreas.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Notification is already in (Sensor binary channel is implementing both Sensor Binary and Notification).

For some CCs it is forbidden to use too old versions.

Z-Uno always uses the latest and best ;)
A.Harrenberg

Post by A.Harrenberg »

Hi,
PoltoS wrote:Notification is already in (Sensor binary channel is implementing both Sensor Binary and Notification).
ok, I did see that, good to know.
PoltoS wrote: For some CCs it is forbidden to use too old versions.

Z-Uno always uses the latest and best ;)
Is there a document showing which versions are not be used for wich command class? I briefly get through the released documents from Sigma and haven't noticed anything that some version are no longer allowed... There are several command classes stated as "DEPRECATED" or "OBSOLETE", but apart from that, I can remember any remarks on versions.

Of course for the normal use it the best to use the "latest and best", but for my VERY special purpose it would have been a great validation tool.

So I won't use it for my first intended usage, but I am getting one to play with it and build my own device ,-)

Thanks,
Andreas.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Just for instance MCv1 (called MI at that time) is not allowed. Alarm v<3 also. If we go with Z-Wave Plus, it requires some minimal version for some CCs. For example MCAv2 and MCv3 are now mandatory
A.Harrenberg

Post by A.Harrenberg »

Hi,
thank your for this information, such details are NOT included in the normal documentation as released now by Sigma. I looked briefly at the ALARM / NOTIFICATION command class description and could not find these information there, so you have definitely more information available.

For the implementation of the command classes in the automation server this does not matter, as we have to support all the version, there might still be old hardware around, even with deprecated or obsolete classes.

For developing of Z-Wave devices, and especiallay your Z-Uno, this has then to be respected to get certified.

I have just ordered my Z-Uno yesterday and I am looking forward to play around with it...

Best regards,
Andreas.
roher

Post by roher »

PoltoS wrote:We plan to implement Door Lock, Meter and Color Switch in very near future (end of October).
Hi! Dear PoltoS, could you please tell - will support of these new command classes (I am actually interested in Meter) be added only in new board revisions, or is it a software update that can be installed on existing boards? I am asking because I'm going to buy a Z-Uno board for implementing a Meter device. Should I wait till support of the Meter command class will be added, or I can freely buy now and update firmware later?
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

This will come as s/w update. Feel free to buy the current board.
roher

Post by roher »

Thanks!