z-uno and SmartThing issues

Discussion about Z-Uno product. Visit http://z-uno.z-wave.me for more details.
RobertL.

z-uno and SmartThing issues

Post by RobertL. »

I'm new to z-uno and z-Wave and SmartThing, but I'm an experienced Arduino user.

I have spent the last couple of days experimenting with the Z-UNO connected to my SmartThing hub.
I understand that this is not plug and play so I've been reading a lot.

So far I have been successful in controlling the z-uno ( switch, dimmer etc) but nor the other way around, from the z-uno to other devices.

My first project is to make a 4 button remote using z-uno to control some devices on my z-wave network.

The 4 button example on the Arduino IDE should have been a good starting point but i'm unable to get it to work,
I probably need to write a device handler on my smartThing hub in order to be able to get it to do what I want it to do. I'm not there yet!

I tried the simple MotionSensor example but it pairs up as "Z-wave Device Multichanel" rather than a Door/Window sensor. Wont work

Frustrating!!

Does anyone have a Device Handler for SmartThing hub that I could use with the 4 button example?

Also, if someone knows how to force pairing in a 'motion detector' mode?

Robert
bribert

Re: z-uno and SmartThing issues

Post by bribert »

Hi Robert,

Did you find any solution to your SmartThings setup? My project is very similar to your's.

I am trying to use the Z-uno as a 4-contact interface to read relays from my Vista alarm system, so I need SmartThings to see the Z-Uno as one device with 4 contacts. I set the Z-Uno up for 4 channels, with different "getters", but the only "report" is "SwitchMultilevelReport(value 99)" or value 0, which is issued only when the first relay closes or opens (none of the other 3 relays).

I cannot find any other device handler that even allows it to read it as a single "contact", never mind 4.

Let me know if you, or anyone else, has a solution.
I too am new to Z-Uno and Z-Wave, with some C experience.

Thanks a bunch!
Brian

RobertL. wrote:
29 Nov 2017 20:03
I'm new to z-uno and z-Wave and SmartThing, but I'm an experienced Arduino user.

I have spent the last couple of days experimenting with the Z-UNO connected to my SmartThing hub.
I understand that this is not plug and play so I've been reading a lot.

So far I have been successful in controlling the z-uno ( switch, dimmer etc) but nor the other way around, from the z-uno to other devices.

My first project is to make a 4 button remote using z-uno to control some devices on my z-wave network.

The 4 button example on the Arduino IDE should have been a good starting point but i'm unable to get it to work,
I probably need to write a device handler on my smartThing hub in order to be able to get it to do what I want it to do. I'm not there yet!

I tried the simple MotionSensor example but it pairs up as "Z-wave Device Multichanel" rather than a Door/Window sensor. Wont work

Frustrating!!

Does anyone have a Device Handler for SmartThing hub that I could use with the 4 button example?

Also, if someone knows how to force pairing in a 'motion detector' mode?

Robert
RobertL.

Post by RobertL. »

Hi Brian,

I was only trying to turn on a light connected to the smartThings hub, with a button on the zuno.
I tried every sensor example on their web site and none works.
I probably need to write a Device Handler but it's beyond my knowledge.
I'm waiting for the people at Z-wave.me to help me with a solution.
bribert

Post by bribert »

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the feedback. If you do get any other info, or can write anything up, let me know.

I will keep searching!

Thx,

Brian
RobertL.

Post by RobertL. »

Can you post your Arduino code?
daedalusminos

Post by daedalusminos »

I'm no Zuno expert and I'm no SmartThings expert, but I'm a dabbler in both.

I believe there's a number of ways to achieve your end result varying in complexity and difficulty.

The easiest is to go out and buy something like an Aeotec Minimote for £50+ but you've bought a Zuno so probably want to put that to good use performing the same task. To emulate the minimote I believe would require associations in SmartThings to enable the Z-Uno to communicate directly to the actors (receivers) - that's beyond my knowledge.

You can however perform a similar function using the hub and smartapps, 4 switches could be realised as 4 binary sensor channels or a single multi-level sensor channel, but both will require a custom device handler. SmartThings have good online documentation for writing device handlers.

It's easy to demonstrate a single switch using the 'Simple Binary Sensor' Z-Uno sketch and the built in SmartThings 'Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor' device handler.
RobertL.

Post by RobertL. »

Thank for your response.
I finally was able to make my Zuno ON and OFF buttons work to turn on/off my bedroom light. I can't dimm but for now i'll live with that.
I used the window/door sensor sketch along with the "Z-wave motion sensor" device handler with only the fingerprint modification.

When I try to use a multi level sensors, the Zuno pairs as a window sensor on the hub, so nothing works.

It would be nice for z-wave.me to provide the device handlers for their examples in order to make them work.

Also, I find it strange that I can buy a Leviton dimmer, install it and make it work without any device handlers.
If zuno could provide the codes to emulate a generic dimmer, it would certainly simplify our lives.
daedalusminos

Post by daedalusminos »

You can always change the device handler that SmartThings allocates to device - on the browser interface edit device and change the 'type'.

Because Z-Uno doesn't have a fixed function, generic drivers don't always fit the bill exactly.

It may be picking up a generic device handler - you can check in the device info.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

I now have a SmartThings box in my hands. Hope we can do more tests and even make handler generator to help SmartThings users to use any type of Z-Uno sketches. Hope we can finish it by 7th if Jan
daedalusminos

Post by daedalusminos »

An event handler generator sounds excellent!