Description when creating channels

Discussion about Z-Uno product. Visit http://z-uno.z-wave.me for more details.
Zixwater

Description when creating channels

Post by Zixwater »

First of all, if this question already has been answered thus having to low of Google Fu or Forum search I do applogize. That being said I have been looking around on the Z-Uno forum for an answer if there is one and simply put:

Is there a way of sending a string value when setting up channels e.g. sending a custom namne/description so that: Z-Wave.Me "..." becomes "My Custom device #1" thus knowing which device is which.

Why do I want to do this? Im building a termostats and soil mesaurements for plants standing in windows. I will be using Wemos D1 sending data to a Arduino UNO v3 with a WIFI shield and the arduino will write the values to the Z-Uno. I want to be sure which termostat is reporting from which room so i know where to put it and to name it correctly. Hopefully I have been clear enough in my description =)
PoltoS

Re: Description when creating channels

Post by PoltoS »

Zixwater wrote:
04 May 2018 12:27
Is there a way of sending a string value when setting up channels e.g. sending a custom namne/description so that: Z-Wave.Me "..." becomes "My Custom device #1" thus knowing which device is which.
Good point! This is very controller dependent. Most controllers to ignore this.

There is NodeNaming feature for this, but most controllers do not respect it.

We will check it and may be add it in next versions.
Zixwater

Post by Zixwater »

Thanks! It would certainaly be appriciated by me atleast :D Currently and the reason I found out about it was that I have a DTH11 and a BMP180, both with thermostats and both are named "Z-Wave.Me Thermostat" even though the BMP180 gets a thermostat created in controller without having a channel created in the Z-Uno.

Im using Z-Way/Razberry controller with the Z-Uno since I want to tinker with my own stuff. This NodeNaming feature, is that function call or where can I find it? Anyway many thanks for considering this feature, much appriciated!
Zixwater

Post by Zixwater »

I am only wondering if this feature is still considered? With new releases there are still node naming using some pre-generated string. Can I alter this behavior somehow in either Z-UNO or Razberry? This becomes a problem having multiple sensors of the same type in different channel. Thanks.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Now each Z-Uno can have own produce ID and hence own ZDDX description file. So this can be now solved for you in the other way.

See https://z-uno.z-wave.me/Reference/ZUNO_ ... RODUCT_ID/
Zixwater

Post by Zixwater »

PoltoS wrote:
21 Oct 2019 22:36
Now each Z-Uno can have own produce ID and hence own ZDDX description file. So this can be now solved for you in the other way.

See https://z-uno.z-wave.me/Reference/ZUNO_ ... RODUCT_ID/
Thank you for the response! So just for the sake that I understand it correctly, there is no way to supply a char/string value description for the device name when setting up the channels during setup in the Z-Uno sketch eg. the aprox. 30byte name being produced is comming from the Razberry unit with this ZDDX file? Thank you in advance.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

you can not do it in Z-Uno - this is because providing custom string makes the complexity of our code much bigger and reduces your sketch code space.

But in Z-Way ZDDX can pick up names of association groups