Hydronic header control with Z-Uno

Discussion about Z-Uno product. Visit http://z-uno.z-wave.me for more details.
ausip

Hydronic header control with Z-Uno

Post by ausip »

Hi Z-Uno users

I have a project where I want to use a Z-Uno to control 10 relays for hydronic under floor heating control. I need to actuate 10 x 24VDC actuators via relays. 5 or 10 Z-Wave switches or relay controls will be extremely expensive. Thanks to Z-Uno, I should be able to come up with a much more cost effective solution.

I am new to Z-Uno and Z-Wave for that matter. To begin with I am looking for a breakout board & DIN rail enclosure or mount to mount my Z-Uno.

I am looking something like this to for the relay module (I know this one is only 8 relays, but there is also a similar dual relay board)
https://www.amazon.com/ELECTRONICS-SALO ... B00M1MC3ZU

Any advice would be appreciated.
DaveDotNet

Re: Hydronic header control with Z-Uno

Post by DaveDotNet »

I’ve been through similar thought processes. I have underfloor water based heating system with an 8port manifold downstairs and a similar one upstairs. Each port is connected to the respective room’s thermostat through a wiring centre. When the room thermostat triggers it not only activates the valve it also issues a command to the boiler and pump to fire up.

My system is made by Heatmiser and they have a protoco that runs on an RS485 bus that communicates with everything. Primitive but foolproof.

It’s not clear what you would want controlling the relays but I would imagine it would be thermostats. I would also imagine you need to fire up the pump and boiler when at least one valve is opened.

I’m using the Zuno to look like 16 thermostats to my zwave home automation system (Samsung SmartThings) and that it will be able to read the temperature and change the setpoint. The zuno will then talk RS485 to the thermostats getting and setting temperatures, however, the whole heating system still remains autonomous should anything go wrong.

Could you explain a little more about your plans for what would control the relays (over zwave).

Ps. My thermostats only speak 4800baud so need support for that speed ;-)
ausip

Re: Hydronic header control with Z-Uno

Post by ausip »

I am planning on having temperature sensors in all zones & a thermostat or an in wall 7" android tablet in our main living area.

Either the thermostat or the Zuno will control the boiler. My boiler is fully integrated, pump, boiler etc, so it's a pretty simple beast to control.

To save on gas & am planning on having some sort of control logic that will operate the boiler in time cycles, only if any of the zones are below temp. I don't want a below temp zone to trigger the boiler, as it will run for an individual zone and could likely be running majority of the time.

I am thinking of having a cycle where the boiler is on for 10 minutes and off for 10 minutes, therefore it will only burn for 30 minutes per hour. Any zones that are below their set point temp will trigger the actuators until the zone is up to it's set point, independent of the boilers cycle.

This way the boiler will run on it's schedule, and heat all zones that are below temp, but only if one or more zones are actually below temp.