Are there any problems with using 12V DC with z-uno?

Discussion about Z-Uno product. Visit http://z-uno.z-wave.me for more details.
Seth Opportunity

Are there any problems with using 12V DC with z-uno?

Post by Seth Opportunity »

My project that I am working on needs a 12V DC power supply for a solenoid. If I just use this connected directly to the Vin pin of the z-uno will I run into any problems with heat on the z-uno board? What does it depend on.

I am trying to determine whether I should use some sort of voltage regulator (simple linear regulator?) to drop the voltage down to 5V before passing it to the z-uno. I've been reading extensively but this seems to be one of those topics where the more you read the less you realise you know.

Presumably if I connect 12V the z-uno will drop this to 5V resulting in ~.25W of heat to dissipate which doesn't sound like too much to me (12V-5V)*35mA. Can this go up by much if I add a few other components (e.g. real-time clock, keypad, wifi)?

The technical specifications talk about an external switching DC-DC. What exactly is this referring to, and is it something I should be using?

Thanks again for anyone who can help this very new enthusiast.
PoltoS

Re: Are there any problems with using 12V DC with z-uno?

Post by PoltoS »

We do not suggest to use 12 V for too long. It heats. It is better to use a switching regulator.
jfngw

Post by jfngw »

I used a L298N as it takes 12v in and has a 5v regulator to drive the z-uno. It's classed as a motor drive but as it is just supplying 12v dc I can't see what difference a solenoid would make, as long as it's within the current limit (2A). It actual has two independent 12V outputs but the 2A is the max across both.

It will work 5-35V but the on board 5V regulator can't be used if input is greater than 12V.

It comes on a small pcb so saves time building something.
rrozema

Post by rrozema »

Those dc-dc converters are really dirt cheap pre-fabricated. Here's an example on ali express for 31 euro cents and no transport costs (into the Netherlands):
http://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-Mini ... 4b7d1efd08