Thermostat + window sensor?

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
sem;colon

Thermostat + window sensor?

Post by sem;colon »

Hello everyone,

I bought myself some thermostats (one from Danfoss and one Eurotronic Comet Z) and door/window sensors (one from Fibaro and one from Philio), but I can't get them to work "properly" together and I wonder if I do something wrong.

For the Danfoss it didn't work for me at all, all you can do is use ThermostatSetPoint to set a specific target temperature. You can set it to something like 6°C, which is pretty cold and more or less equal to turning it off, but you can't return to the previously set temperature after you closed the window. (Unless you create a logic to store the previously set value to a variable or something).
With the Eurotronic Comet Z that's a little better, as you have the commandClass ThermostatSetMode, which eables you to turn the thermostat off and on without changing the temperature it's set to.

But in both cases I have the problem, that the thermostat would only go off the next time it wakes up - which is every 10 minutes is my setup. That means, the radiator will keep heating for up to 10 minutes if I open the window, that is way to slow.
I read somewhere that it only takes about 10 - 15 seconds between opening the windows and the thermostat reacting, which would be quite OK, but I don't see a way to archive this. The comment was about the devolo system, not z-way, but both systems use z-wave. If it works with one, it should be possible to get it working with the other as well.

Does someone know if there is a way any z-wave thermostat to react on the window opening in less than one minute? (with z-way)

Thank you!

EDIT: I'm using z-way v2.2.4 with RaZberry
pz1

Re: Thermostat + window sensor?

Post by pz1 »

Both Danfoss and Eurotronic do have an autonomous detector of cold air passing the radiator, which leads to an automatic closure of the valve. That closure is maintained for 30 minutes. That action should be pretty instantaneous. However many thermostats will not be close to windows. So response will be faster or slower ot even absent depending on that conditions.
I have done experiments with Eurotronic StellaZ using the App IFTHEN to set the thermostat in the Off mode. That worked fine until a version upgrade broke the IFTHEN part. I haven't tried again yet. Waiting for the official 2.3 production release before I look again into it.
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
sem;colon

Post by sem;colon »

Hi pz1,

thank you very much!
Unfortunately the cold air detector doesn't work in my case (I guess the thermostat is too far away from the window) I waited about 20 minutes and the thermostats were still heating - maybe even more than before, so using this feature is not a proper solution for me.
If I use IFTHEN (well, if it's working again) for this, will it be any faster or will the device still have to wake up to receive the change?
enbemokel

Post by enbemokel »

From my understanding you must set the wake up time to maybe 2 minutes. If the device sleeps it
will not be informed from any change by the controller.
So it doesn´t matter how you controll the thermostat, it must wake up to react.
Or you need a non battery thermostat, then it will work in seconds.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

enbemokel wrote:From my understanding you must set the wake up time to maybe 2 minutes.
Well if you do want to burn batteries, go ahead :mrgreen:
sem;colon

Post by sem;colon »

Ok, thanks to everyone!
I thought there might be some backdoor for Associated devices or something, but I guess not...
Unfortunately I didn't find any mains powered z-wave thermostats... I guess I'll have to create my own one :cry:
enbemokel

Post by enbemokel »

pz1 wrote:
enbemokel wrote:From my understanding you must set the wake up time to maybe 2 minutes.
Well if you do want to burn batteries, go ahead :mrgreen:
I know, but for testing it may be fine. Or connect a power supply with some soldering.... 8-)