Version 2.3.6

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
PoltoS

Re: Version 2.3.6

Post by PoltoS »

The Smart Home UI, Expert UI and Automation engine are easy to upgrade - just clone the code from Git and replace the folder by the cloned one. As for the main engine, there are not much changes yet since 2.3.6, so not sure if it would help. We need to locate the problematic code first to fix the problem. Currently we have found only one stability issue (leading to SegFault) in sockets module (Apps like Sonos and others using sockets are affected). No other issues are known for now.
klaasjoerg

Post by klaasjoerg »

Thanks for your fast feedback.
In my case, the hue-app seems to "crash" partly so not all hue-light-vdev are created properly anymore. (I posted this already a while ago).
Additionally a unknown number of zwave-devices seem to be "gone" in the UI. I just noted this, because I found "unselected" pull-down menus in the app/scene configurations that are suddenly empty/red/missing.... Kind of strange.

Regarding git clone: Which folder contains actually the configuration? Will it be overwritten and I have to copy back? Or is it just a parallel config-folder?
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Hue App requires testing. We have no Hue nearby to make tests again. Anything wrong in the log?

As for unselected dropout lists, may be new PostFix (scripts that fix devices faulty behavior) were updated to suppress some virtual devices.

There are two folders: config and automation/storage. In addition there are automation/userModules and htdocs/user...
klaasjoerg

Post by klaasjoerg »

Okay, will give it a try.
Regarding hue: I've been told to click a room and save the devices. Seems to work. No more error messages in the log. Looks good so far. Never mind.

Regarding my unknown number of missing/not shown devices:
I read about some postfix mode and re-inclusion todo. But that doesn't really sound fancy to build up my network from the scratch.... :-/
(Additionally I am wondering why this happened from 2.3.5 to 2.3.6.)
klaasjoerg

Post by klaasjoerg »

Hmmm I made somehow my FibaroDimmer to re-appear, but now all device-names are gone in the UI.
Just seing device numbers but not the real names I gave. In the Expert-UI I still can see all devices, use them and there they still have the original names.
Can I somehow re-sync it?
...or do I really have to manually walk through my 388 devices (physical incl. virtual ones) and rename them manually (again)?

(What I noticed, before switching into debug-postfix mode: Mainly all Door-Sensors (Fibaro eye as well as Aeon Labs Multisensor6) have disappeared, before I noticed, that the "names" where completely gone...)

Ideas how to quickly re-create all the names an activating the devices, without manually touching each again?
timb

Post by timb »

Thanks to all for useful info.

First point: I made a mistake previously when I said I had rebuilt the Pi from Stretch - I didn't I used Jessie. The reason I was confused is that I had tried to build with Stretch, but try as I might I could not get Zway to work on Stretch. I went back to Jessie and it worked.
I have since seen that there are similar posts re: Stretch.
Anyway once re-built it still failed again in the same way. Mean time between failures around 1 day.

I normally access via VNC, but this time left a permanent monitor plugged into the HDMI port. I left htop running filtered on "Z" to see all zwave threads.

I have had a range of failures:
> Zway stopped and when I looked at htop - the two zbw connect processes were running but not any zway (usually there are around 8 processes).
> more frequently the screen was blank and I couldn't even get it to wake up

I concluded it was probably a dodgy SD card, so I am trying again with a different SD card.
As I said, I have two Pis, one as primary the other secondary. I have swapped the power supplies. This could be the issue but I am wondering why - I have never had an issue prior to 2.3.6 and normally the processors are rarely past 20%.
I'll continue to monitor.

The fact that so few other people are having the same issue makes me feel it must be with the Sd card or hardware - next step will be to swap the Pi board.

I have read comments about the extent to which the SD card is used and some have suggested a SSD drive, what about a USB drive? And anyway how would I change the install directories? (but if this is the case - why are not more people having these issues?)

Finally I have a question.... When I rebuilt from new OS + fresh 2.3.6 install plus a restore of zbw and zab files, it seemed to take quite a while for the system to sort itself out. Could I have a problem in these backups that is being restored? Would it be better to rebuild all the apps again? I'd really rather not, I have 30 scenes, 24 rules, 18 schedules... its quite a lot of work. Any thoughts?

Thanks again to all.
klaasjoerg

Post by klaasjoerg »

Finally I have a question.... When I rebuilt from new OS + fresh 2.3.6 install plus a restore of zbw and zab files, it seemed to take quite a while for the system to sort itself out. Could I have a problem in these backups that is being restored? Would it be better to rebuild all the apps again? I'd really rather not, I have 30 scenes, 24 rules, 18 schedules... its quite a lot of work. Any thoughts?
I also always had the concerns regarding loosing a lots of work with my 70+ devices, and around 50 additional external non-zwave-devices. Everything tight together within a couple of dozens role, apps, schedules, remotes and much more....

To make a long story short:
A while ago I did a complete backup-restore because I wanted to also change the razberry-board to the newest version and:
a.) Of course you need both backup-files,
b.) Yes, it took quite a while, until all the zwave-network re-configured itself by the backup files
but
c.) Everything was there. Nothing lost. However, I tried it with version 2.2.5. (some while ago). Don't know if something changed in 2.3.6. today.... (I posted the results here, although in german: viewtopic.php?f=3420&t=24092&p=66124&hi ... ore#p66124 )

Joerg
timb

Post by timb »

A quick update....
replaced the SD card, replaced the power supply.
Same issues with the system stopping after a day or so.
This time, htop on the monitor showed zbw connect running, but the zway processes no longer there.
Nothing in the log for zway and nothing in the log for syslog.

Any other ideas?
timb

Post by timb »

I have some interesting news regarding my reliability problems...
I switched back to the old Zwave daughter board and now the system is considerably more reliable, by that I mean stable for at least 5 days.
My purchase of the new higher-range zwave daughter board coincided with the release 2.3.6, I upgraded, had lots of reliability issues, but it appears to be related to the hardware all along?

Does anyone else have this issue with the higher-range board?
klaasjoerg

Post by klaasjoerg »

I have the higher-range board, but no reliability issues. The reliablity problems I had with 2.3.6. (and 2.3.5 as well) was very often conflicting zwave-me.apps and rules. I noticed, that, when I deactivated some of them, no crashes occuring anymore....