multiple sensors and vera

Discussion about Z-Uno product. Visit http://z-uno.z-wave.me for more details.
petergebruers

Re: multiple sensors and vera

Post by petergebruers »

(a) if you use ZUNO_SETUP_SLEEPING_MODE() it should be set to ZUNO_SLEEPING_MODE_ALWAYS_AWAKE. If you do not use it in your code, ZUNO_SLEEPING_MODE_ALWAYS_AWAKE is the default.
(b) If you ever change that mode, you have to exclude the Z-Uno, then include it again. If you do not exclude and include, your controller won't notice the change.

In fact, whenever you change anything channel or Z-Wave related, it is highly recommended to exclude and include the Z-Uno.

It is in the reference manual, more details are here:

http://z-uno.z-wave.me/Reference/ZUNO_S ... PING_MODE/
Tillsy

Post by Tillsy »

Yes I've always done both of those.
petergebruers

Post by petergebruers »

In that case, does polling work?
Tillsy

Post by Tillsy »

I'm not sure, I've avoided any polling on my system as Z-Wave isn't exactly as wonderful in reality as it says on paper so I prefer to keep unnecessary traffic off the network.

I could set it up temporarily to prove one way or another...
petergebruers

Post by petergebruers »

Yes, I was purely suggesting this as a diagnostic tool, not a permanent solution.
Tillsy

Post by Tillsy »

No change, they're not even installed as correct devices.

I can install as many binary switches as I like, and they all appear and work in Vera exactly as they should.

If I install more than one binary sensor though, the first appears as a motion sensor (that works) the others all install as Generic IO that do nothing. Not a thing. Zilch.
petergebruers

Post by petergebruers »

This guy on the Vera support forum claims polling should work...

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/ ... #msg332691

Quote: "I found a way how to force Vera to update the sensor values. If you do manual "Poll" of the Z-Uno device (not a sensor end node, but the main Z-Uno device), all sensor values get updated. "

Maybe you can contact him?

I do not own a Vera, but I'll try to help anyway.

Maybe post your sketch, or send it via private message.
Tillsy

Post by Tillsy »

Interesting, that link you provided confirms both people were having issues making inputs work between a Z-UNO and Vera. The first person couldn't even get more than one sensor to register properly, the second person got the sensors listed but couldn't get responses from them - his workaround was to flood his Z-Wave network with polling. Hardly comforting seeing this.

So have done some more Googling and have found a tremendous number of people having problems - not just with Vera but even SmartThings. All same story - can't get more than one of a particular type of input working.

In every case the discussions just come to an end, just like this thread did before I brought it back to life. So I was about to give up but then I found yet another discussion, ironically on this forum, from over a year ago and that person did a hack to make a second multi-level sensor work. So I'm going to try something similar tonight to see if that might work for muiltiple binary sensors.

After that I'm going to have to leave the Z-UNO and find other options as I've wasted three solid weeks on this and read over 1.5 years worth of conversations that went nowhere, so clearly this isn't going to get sorted... just a shame the Z-UNO website claims otherwise :(
Tillsy

Post by Tillsy »

Okay this is still getting nowhere.

If I create three binary sensors:
ZUNO_SETUP_CHANNELS(
ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY(ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY_TYPE_GENERAL_PURPOSE, getterTest1),
ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY(ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY_TYPE_GENERAL_PURPOSE, getterTest2),
ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY(ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY_TYPE_GENERAL_PURPOSE, getterTest3),
);

And then set three pins to be pull-ups
pinMode(20, INPUT_PULLUP);
pinMode(21, INPUT_PULLUP);
pinMode(22, INPUT_PULLUP);

Then assuming those pins are unconnected and therefore pulled up I should get:
3 x movement sensors in ACTIVATED state

Simple.

However what I instead get is:
1 x movement sensor in ACTIVATED state
3 x General IO in INACTIVE state

The fact that two of the binary sensors aren't even showing as ACTIVATED is already a problem, not to mention they aren't showing as the correct type of device.

In any case, shorting pin 20 to ground will make the movement sensor go INACTIVE - and removing it makes it ACTIVE again. Perfect.

Doing likewise with pin 21 does nothing. Doing likewise with pin 22 does nothing. This is obvious anyway because right from the start they aren't even showing correctly anyway.

Yes parameter 12 is set. Yes the getters are configured. Yes the loop is monitoring each and setting a variable appropriately, for example:
readValue = digitalRead(20);
if (readValue != test1Value) {
test1Value = readValue;
zunoSendReport(1);
}

The hack I tried was modifying the advanced settings to override the type of device. This worked in the sense the other two sensors now show are movement sensors instead of generic IO. Was excited at first. However, it didn't change the fact that they don't work. Their initial state does not match the first movement binary sensor, nor do they respond. Nothing happens.

Same story I've seen posted all over the Internet. Same story I've seen repeatedly posted in this forum. Same story this thread started out with last year. Given these discussions span more than an entire year I'm thinking that's that :(
petergebruers

Post by petergebruers »

I admire the time and effort you put into trying all this... And writing about it.
It is frustrating, for you, but also for me, to read you are getting nowhere and nobody with a Vera + Z-Uno seems to chime in. Which is not a good sign but on the other hand this community is a lot smaller than that of big players like Homeseer of Fibaro, to name a few. So maybe someone still knows the answer but hasn't seen this topic.

Although I am on Fibaro and RaZberry, I read about other controllers. It is a hobby, and I like to put things in perspective. I spend hours googling your problem but I came up with the same things as you.

This is speculative, but I think Vera and SmartThings share a trait: they can detect basic device types (only some) but as soon as it is "a bit more complicated" then they do require some kind of "device driver" - different controllers use different wording to describe this piece of software, a config faild and/or some code. The definite advantage of this is they present a nice user interface for your device - if it exists. I have helped a few SmartThings users with more recent Fibaro devices, and if Samsung did not provide a device description then it either does not work or it detects the device as an older type. Which may be partly incompatible. I'd check the SmartThings community before you buy. Of all controllers, Z-Way uses the most generic way to detect your device: it asks "what can you do" and "which commands are available". I think Fibaro HomeCenter sits in between... if there is a nice "template" then you get a fancy gui. If the device is not listed in its database, it will enumerate switches, dimmers, sensor and so on. So far, I have been able to make Z-Uno devices and use them on my HomeCenter. One has 2 temperature and humidity sensors. The other one is an RGBW dimmer (a kind of nightlight) and a CO2 sensor. In each case, my system was able to detect all sensors and actors. Only once I built a certain combination and it did not work on either Z-Way or Fibaro, I do not remember the details. So I'd say it is possible te make a device, even on these controllers, that does not work as expected. I have been able to build what I want, but I have only built 5 - 6 production quality devices (with a mix of sensors and actors) so that is a limited test set.

I think your code is fine. You could further reduce it (just return 0 or 1 from the getter for instance, not sampling an input pin) and you could toy with sensor types. But honestly... I am out of ideas.