Connect directly to a zwave module without master controller

Discussion about Z-Uno product. Visit http://z-uno.z-wave.me for more details.
Xirilius

Connect directly to a zwave module without master controller

Post by Xirilius »

Hello,

For a small system i like to use the Z-uno as a controller/remote without the use of a master controller (Home Center 2, Domoticz, OpenHab).

How can i associate a device (Fibaro relay, Smart implant, Qubino dimmer.....) directly with the Z-uno?

And how can i send or receive data from/to the device?

Is there a tuturial with some example code?

Thanks in advance,
Xirilius

Direct association must be possible but besides the doorlock i can't find further information.
https://forum.z-wave.me/viewtopic.php?f ... hub#p83047

I think i need this: https://z-uno.z-wave.me/Reference/ZUNO_ ... OCIATIONS/
PoltoS

Re: Connect directly to a zwave module without master controller

Post by PoltoS »

You anyway need a controller to pair them at least once
mamhoo

Post by mamhoo »

Hello PaltoS,

So after pair once with the controller, Z-UNO can control z-wave device standalone without the controller.
Is that right ?
petergebruers

Post by petergebruers »

Not really... If you add the Z-Uno to the controller, then for example add a relay, you can send data from the Z-Uno to the relay.

Now you can remove the controller, it does not play a part in the communication. This more or less does what you ask: communicate, without a controller.

But... Suppose one day you want to add a 3rd device... You'll need the "controller" to add that 3rd device again and it has to be the same controller as you have used initially, because this chip or dongle contains the function to add/remove devices AND it stores a unique HomeID.

Let's assume you buy a UZB1 controller dongle and run Domoticz on a Pi. For some reason you say: "that is too much trouble, I need that Pi for something else". You COULD conceivably simply remove that UZB1 dongle and put it in a safe place, then format your Pi and use it for something else. Store that UZB1 until you need it again to add/remove devices! To do that, you can even run a different gateway software, for example "Home Assistant" and use that UZB1 again (but do not "reset" it!)

Seems like a weird way to do it - I am only telling you this to show the importance of the controller and why it is needed.

BTW if you want "secure" communication your Domoticz also stores a key on the Pi, not on the dongle...
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Many installers uses one UZB1 (a controller) for many installations.

They go to the site, run new network with UZB1, add and associate devices, make a backup and reset the UZB1 to go to another site.

If in future they need to add something to an old site they restore the backup.

This works well for completelly standalone applications where no controller is required.

Do not forget to remove Z-Way from WakeUp and Associations before removing the controller!
mamhoo

Post by mamhoo »

Hello,

Is Razberry board connected to Pi and Z-way can be work as a controller too ?
My project has 200 unit that needs to control z-wave door lock.
So I should have 1 controller (Razberry with Pi) and 200 Z-UNO.
After the controller associate or pair with z-wave door lock then the z-uno can be worked stand-alone
Is that right ?

Please advice,

Thanks
enbemokel

Post by enbemokel »

Hi, if these 200 installations are in different places, then this will work exactly like PoltoS described it.
But you don´t associate the controller with the lock, you must associate the z-uno with the lock.